Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Rickter Scale (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Show 117 - Featuring Flamborough Head, Violent Silence (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3044)

Rick and Roll 02-07-2007 06:25 PM

Show 117 - Featuring Flamborough Head, Violent Silence

(This version of The Rickter Scale airs from 8-11 PM EST on Sunday, 2/11/07 and 1-4 PM PM on Monday, 2/12/07)

No cute title, just more great music. Ever since I got back from Summers' End in October, I've been wanting to feature the Dutch band Flamborough Head.

Flamborough Head - "One For The Crow" (2002)

One For The Crow
Old Shoes
Separate
Daydreams
Nightlife
Old Forest
Limestone Rock
New Shoes

This one is not yet on the Moon, should appear shortly. The first one with Eddie Mulder on guitar - his playing is reminiscent of David Gilmour (he was in a Floyd cover band) but not imitative. He has the same ability to get the most of limited notes, ala Gilmour, Michael Gurley, Buck Dharma, Peter Frampton. All of the members are great, but I'm especially impressed with Koen Roozen, the drummer. He has the same ability of a Barriemore Barlow to use the entire drum kit to create textures.

Violent Silence - "Kinetic" (2005)

Morning Star
Kinetic
Torrential Rains
Night Lights
Sky Burial
Subzero
Quiet Stalker
Homesick

A swedish band with great vocals, nice arrangements....but not what you may expect. Here's an unusual line-up: 2 keys, bass,drums,vocals - no guitars. Yet, in rare spots almost heavy enough to be thrash. But overall, just top-rate music. For the most part, it's pleasant melodies, yet the lyrics are quite serious and dark. If you haven't heard this, you'll be kicking yourself about not voting them in the top 10 for that year. There's also another record out from 2002, and I think they're releasing another this year. I've got some information from the band that I'll post later in the week.

The 18-minute "Quiet Stalker" contains a 5-minute passage that's superb, and "Sky Burial", my favorite track on the CD, has a chorus that reminds me of Kansas' "Hopelessly Human". Hope to see the band lurking on the Monday replay.

Flower Kings - "Serious Dreamers" (from "The Rainmaker", 2001)

I needed to fill 8-10 minutes, and keeping with the keyboard theme, picked a song that shows the beautiful talent of Tomas Bodin. One of the best songs they've ever done.

Flamborough Head - "Tales of Imperfection" (2005)

For Starters
Maureen
Higher Ground
Silent Stranger
Captive of Fate
Mantova
Year After Year

This one's on the Moon. I like the subject matter of the title, it exposes our shallowness in championing beauty over substance. This is the latest release...hoping the next record has the outstanding instrumental "Don't Forget Us", played at Summers' End. Eddie Mulder branches out with some instrumental songs on this CD. One more note - check out the website, you'll see pictures of the band at Baja by our very own vaxman. (insert glass here)

And thanks to Edo Spanninga, keyboardist for the band, for his graciousness. Since I've mentioned three of the five members already, lets also mention Margriet Boomsma on flute and vocals, and Marcel Derix on the bass!

Look forward to seeing you all in!

VAXman 02-08-2007 01:41 PM

Re: Show 117 - Featuring Flamborough Head, Violent Silence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick and Roll (Post 24838)
(This version of The Rickter Scale airs from 8-11 PM EST on Sunday, 2/11/07 and 1-4 PM PM on Monday, 2/12/07)

No cute title, just more great music. Ever since I got back from Summers' End in October, I've been wanting to feature the Dutch band Flamborough Head.

Doh! I just got home from Holland and it never occurred to me to let Flamborough Head know I was going to be there.

eloy1964 02-09-2007 03:09 AM

I used to go to Flamborough Head in my school holidays in my youth. A great place to visit if you like sand dunes!

mailotron 02-09-2007 02:03 PM

Hello,

Good idea to program Flamborough head ! ( nice english place along the sea)
thier first ius the best for me if you want upload it , please tell me.
:hand:

Rick and Roll 02-09-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailotron (Post 24874)
Hello,

Good idea to program Flamborough head ! ( nice english place along the sea)
thier first ius the best for me if you want upload it , please tell me.
:hand:

Hi Mail,

Get w/ Jim about uploads...looks like only the latest two are on the Moon. I need to familiarize myself w/ the back catalog, so i'll start with the first one (I trust your usual excellent musical taste).

Violent Silence registered today, so looks like we may see the band drop in :yougo

podakayne 02-10-2007 04:36 PM

well hoping for a less hectic week then i've had for the last 2, i hope to hear the show on sunday as well as monday...btw heard last weeks on sunday but was working :aua: feverously and resisted the urge to shout.

great work on getting some new sounds to our ears rick, as usual You Rock! :rawk:

roger 04-29-2007 07:51 PM

I think I missed this show way back when, but I am liking Violent Silence a lot. I added them on myspace, and think I need to buy the album(s)...

Rick and Roll 04-30-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger (Post 25998)
I think I missed this show way back when, but I am liking Violent Silence a lot. I added them on myspace, and think I need to buy the album(s)...

You better check your local listings often, there going to keep coming at you!

I just picked up the debut by them this weekend.....

roger 04-30-2007 04:23 PM

here's their myspace good stuff.

Rick and Roll 04-30-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger (Post 26005)
here's their myspace good stuff.

One of the nicest compliments I've gotten was from the band, I was floored. They often wonder why they should continue...and then find out their music is played somewhere and really appreciate it.

It's almost mind-boggling to think what impact we have as the listening community. Bands that play Rosfest are overwhelmed by the reception received.:heart:

By the way, Salem Hill finally set up a myspace...

roger 04-30-2007 07:29 PM

this one:
http://www.myspace.com/swerveintheredpool

Rick and Roll 04-30-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger (Post 26016)

No, not that one....

it's actually not a music page....I'll send the link sometime gotta sleeeep

roger 05-01-2007 05:40 AM