Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion/Prog News (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What CD's Are you Playing Right Now? Top 5 (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2090)

mailotron 01-23-2008 04:41 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Anathema Natural disaster
Anathema A fine way to exit
I has been hooked by their music after their gig in Brussel as Pt's opening act
Riverside REM ( Will R.E.M record a CD ccalled RIverside ? ;-)
Riverside 02 Panic Room EP ( with two worthy unreleased track)
Iona the circling hour
TFK Unfolded the future ( special mention to the twinned Christian Opel and Silent Inferno, I've been told that Christian Opel was replaced by Chritian Vauxhall on the UK issue ;-)
Led Zeppelin volume 1 ( babe i'm gonna leave you is a fantatstic track)

progzealot 01-23-2008 07:01 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Fall of Echoes--Red Tree

It's christian prog but not preachy. Melodic metal with deep vocals and harmonies. Highly recommended.

OverHillandDale 01-23-2008 07:10 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Here's some new additions to the listening pleasure here:

Sanjay Mishra & guest Jerry Garcia - Blue Incantation
Santana/Mclaughlin - Love, Devotion, Surrender
Tommy James and the Shondells - Anthology
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
Charlotte Martin - Reproductions, and Stromata

roger 01-23-2008 07:20 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverHillandDale (Post 30778)
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

great album!

progzealot 01-23-2008 07:53 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Just got The Gourishankar--2nd Hands today, AWESOME !!!

Thor 01-23-2008 08:23 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I've been listening to the soundtrack to the 1995 film Aashiqui
here are the songs from it:
AB TERE BIN JEE LENGE HUM
DHEERE DHEERE SE MERI
DIL KA AALAM
EK SANAM CHAHIYE ( KUMAR SANU )
EK SANAM CHAHIYE (ANURADHA )
JAAN E JIGAR JAANEMAN - I
JAAN E JIGAR JAANEMAN - II
MAIN DUNIYA BHULA DOONGA
MERA DIL TERE LIYE
NAZAR KE SAMNE JIGAR KE PAAS
TU MERI ZINDAGI HAI

I have to say I have repeatedly listened to
EK SANAM CHAHIYE as sung by Anuradha Padwal
and MERA DIL TERE LIYE

also the song Nela aasaman so gaya from the film Silsila is great.

As for Prog, I have really liked a lot of the new additions as heard on the Moon... thanks for the new stuff. :D

Ted 01-24-2008 09:32 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I have just got several Rick Wakeman CD's and they are burning up my cd player:

Rick Wakeman - Almost Live in Europe
Rick Wakeman - The Masters (GREAT 2 CD Set)
Rick Wakeman - LIVE

and Hank Williams and the Driftwood Cowboys... It is good - for it's Genre!!!

Expecting another Rick Wakeman CD in soon - Rick Wakeman & Dave Cousins - Hummingbird - really looking forward to it!!

All now from Texas,
Ted

dinosaur 01-24-2008 10:49 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I can't seem to get The Pineapple Thief's 'What Have We Sown" out of my CD player.

Rick and Roll 01-24-2008 05:05 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 30795)
I can't seem to get The Pineapple Thief's 'What Have We Sown" out of my CD player.

I would stop gazing at my shoes while listening :LOL:

if that fails, hit "eject". :heart:

ProgressiveEars 01-24-2008 05:28 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Mike Keneally- Dog

dinosaur 01-25-2008 07:47 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Eject? ... Oh, that seems to work! (Smacking forehead with palm now.)

progzealot 01-25-2008 10:09 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Visual Cliff---Into The After

Christian prog--not too preachy, great melodic metal, very inspirational and up lifting !!

Rick and Roll 01-25-2008 10:15 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by progzealot (Post 30846)
Visual Cliff---Into The After

Christian prog--not too preachy, great melodic metal, very inspirational and up lifting !!

Damn, another to get! (like Dinosaur reminding me about the MMEB)

I'd forgotten thsi was coming out. I have Key to Eternity, which is instrumental. but "Christian tough guy" lol Rob Perez has added Shane Lankford of Orphan Project on vocals.

Chatting with Shane (They're located in Baltimore) at a show last year, he mentioned this. I'll have to buy it and play it on the show.

Thanks!

progzealot 01-25-2008 10:18 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick and Roll (Post 30847)
Damn, another to get! (like Dinosaur reminding me about the MMEB)

I'd forgotten thsi was coming out. I have Key to Eternity, which is instrumental. but "Christian tough guy" lol Rob Perez has added Shane Lankford of Orphan Project on vocals.

Chatting with Shane (They're located in Baltimore) at a show last year, he mentioned this. I'll have to buy it and play it on the show.

Thanks!

Another great christian prog group is Fall of Echoes. If you go to their web site you can buy theirs and get Visual Cliff for free !

Rick and Roll 01-25-2008 10:22 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by progzealot (Post 30848)
Another great christian prog group is Fall of Echoes. If you go to their web site you can buy theirs and get Visual Cliff for free !

That is actually a Visual Cliff / OP hybrid. Has Shane on vocals. I have this and played it on the show over the summer I believe.... no free for me :(

progzealot 01-25-2008 10:29 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick and Roll (Post 30850)
That is actually a Visual Cliff / OP hybrid. Has Shane on vocals. I have this and played it on the show over the summer I believe.... no free for me :(

I thought their websites were linked together. Great music.

roger 01-26-2008 08:34 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I just got Ivan Neville - If My Ancestors Could See Me Now

from 1988, produced by Danny Kortchmar, and includes the late jeff Porcaro. good stuff!

progzealot 01-26-2008 05:13 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Van Morrison---A Night in San Francisco

live recording with guests Candy Dulfer, John Lee Hooker, Junior Wells and Jimmy Witherspoon.

My favorite Van Morrison cd.

Methem 02-01-2008 12:33 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mailotron (Post 30758)
Anathema Natural disaster
Anathema A fine way to exit
I has been hooked by their music after their gig in Brussel as Pt's opening act

So it's not "harsh prog" anymore, eh? (Hehe, see your comment in the old Anathema thread in the music suggestions section of the forums.)

Personally I think the music has actually gotten a bit too tame, being almost like these pretty soul ballads by The Commodores I'm currently listening to. ;) They should bring some metal back to their music.

mailotron 02-06-2008 03:44 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methem (Post 31164)
So it's not "harsh prog" anymore, eh? (Hehe, see your comment in the old Anathema thread in the music suggestions section of the forums.)

Personally I think the music has actually gotten a bit too tame, being almost like these pretty soul ballads by The Commodores I'm currently listening to. ;) They should bring some metal back to their music.

Well done wisy Methem:winkies:
as we use to say here only idiots don't change their mind 8-q
what i've heard of Anathema was harsh metal :doncab :eek: :bang!: until I saw them live as a Ptree opening act , I bought Natural :notworthy then Exit:notworthy

TheFish 02-06-2008 07:54 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Bridge Of Sighs, Robin Trower (:notworthy In preparation for next weeks show:rawk: )

Somthings Comming, Yes

Milliontown, Frost (I just can't say enough about these boys.)

Physical Gafitti, Led Zep.

Rick and Roll 02-06-2008 07:57 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFish (Post 31441)
Bridge Of Sighs, Robin Trower (:notworthy In preparation for next weeks show:rawk: )


I'll be missing Trower on March 8...prior commitment :dunno:

Check out my show this week for what he's doing now:rockband:

OverHillandDale 02-06-2008 09:06 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Frank Zappa - Lather (where all those great songs really came from.)
Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple and Deep Purple in Rock
U.K. - Night After Night
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser
King Crimson - Red (just can't get enough of this.)
Arena - Songs from the Lions Cage
Arena - Contagion. and The Visitor

And I've got a strong hankering for the new Mars Volta, but haven't gotten it yet.


roger 02-07-2008 05:36 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFish (Post 31441)
Milliontown, Frost (I just can't say enough about these boys.)

the bits that Jem has been feeding us from the second album are great! can't wait!

schupdoggy 02-07-2008 06:00 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Roxy Music - Country Life
Ali Baba's Tahini - Rockstars and Lawnmowers
Rush - Vapor Trails
Singularity - Between Sunlight and Shadow
Fig Leaf - The Humble Poet

mailotron 02-07-2008 05:11 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
[quote=schupdoggy;31454]Roxy Music - Country Life
Ali Baba's Tahini - Rockstars and Lawnmowers
LOl what a band and cd's names R) R) R) R) R)

schupdoggy 02-07-2008 07:19 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Ali Baba's Tahini is Jake Cinninger's (Lead Guitarist for Umphrey's McGee) side project. They have 3 cd's...
Hopi Champa - 1999
Limbo Boots - 2000
Rockstars and Lawnmowers - 2005

Methem 02-12-2008 01:10 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
From a recent record shop visit and therefore being or to be played:

- Klaus Schulze: Mirage
- Ozrics: There is Nothing + Live Ethereal Cereal
- Marvin Gaye: one of those "greatest hits" things
- Steve Roach: Light Fantastic
- Hawkwind: Space Bandits
- Jarre: Magnetic Fields

The last three being second-hand.

The winner so far: Schulze.

Ted 02-12-2008 11:52 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methem (Post 31720)
From a recent record shop visit and therefore being or to be played:

- Klaus Schulze: Mirage
- Ozrics: There is Nothing + Live Ethereal Cereal
- Marvin Gaye: one of those "greatest hits" things
- Steve Roach: Light Fantastic
- Hawkwind: Space Bandits
- Jarre: Magnetic Fields

The last three being second-hand.

The winner so far: Schulze.

Methem: Great on Jarre - I really like his stuff.

This week, my top five: (and currently playing!!)

Jean-Michel Jarre, Teo & Tea - very electronic dance music... what a beat
Rick Wakeman & Dave Cousins, Hummingbird - really early Strawbs sound
Rick Wakeman, The Masters
Renaissance, Novella
Renaissance, Tales Of 1001 Nights


That's all for me - for now.

From Texas,
Ted

Methem 02-13-2008 01:14 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted (Post 31746)
Methem: Great on Jarre - I really like his stuff.

I only have a few albums by Jarre. And I have to say I haven't been awfully excited by this MF so far. But Oxygene 7-13, for example, has some nice tunes on it. (I Haven't heard the original Oxygene album yet.)

Ted 02-13-2008 05:12 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methem (Post 31757)
I only have a few albums by Jarre. And I have to say I haven't been awfully excited by this MF so far. But Oxygene 7-13, for example, has some nice tunes on it. (I Haven't heard the original Oxygene album yet.)

Methem - try Teo & Tea - it is more of a dance/electronic - but has some interesting variety.

There are several on Aural Moon. Even the original Oxygene.

From Texas,
Ted

KeithieW 02-13-2008 05:18 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I'm rotating about ten Cds at the moment.

1 Big Big Train - The Difference Machine
2 D'arcana - Premonitions
3 Azureth - The Promethean Syndrome
4 Jack Foster III - Tame Until Hungry
5 The Tangent - Going Off On One
6 Guy Manning - Songs From The Bilston House
7 Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
8 Third Ending - Third Ending
9 Satellite - Into The Night
10 Galahad - Empires Never Last

Hey!! They're all from 2007 - What a give away. ;)

Methem 02-13-2008 11:26 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted (Post 31758)
Methem - try Teo & Tea - it is more of a dance/electronic - but has some interesting variety.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds promising.

Quote:

There are several on Aural Moon. Even the original Oxygene.
Yes, I know there's Jarre available here. :) I bought Ox 7-13 after hearing some of its tunes on the Moon...

progzealot 02-13-2008 07:59 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
QUIDAM--Alone Together
SATELLITE--Into the Night
The Gourishankar--2nd Hands
CLIFFHANGER--Mirror Site
WIND MACHINE--Timeline

ErikM 02-15-2008 04:08 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
This are some new cd's are really like :
- The Nits - Doing the dishes (band from Holland with their 20th studio-album)
- Sense - Going home (Canadian band kinda like old Crimson/Yes/Genesis)
- Combination Head - Progress? (2nd from UK-band between BJH and Talk Talk)
- Don Airey - A light in the sky (keyboardplayer Deep Purple)
- Methaphor - The sparrow (2nd from USA-band kinda like Camel/Genesis/Styx)
- The New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Trilogy Live (70's live material from Italy)
- Ünder Linden - Ünder Linden (softfusion from Argentina)
- Telomere - The stellar sea (3rd album with spacerock from the USA)

Rick and Roll 02-15-2008 05:24 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikM (Post 31833)
- Combination Head - Progress? (2nd from UK-band between BJH and Talk Talk)
- Don Airey - A light in the sky (keyboardplayer Deep Purple)
the USA)

The first CH is wonderful. Interesting description, I thought it was slick fusion. Still need to get that one.

How is the Don Airey? Does it have vocals? I'm wary of solo records from longtime support artists (he also was in metal bands, of course).

ErikM 02-15-2008 07:00 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
ABOUT DON AIREY

"A light in the sky" is a very various album with singer Carl Sentance (Krokus), on guitar Rob Harris (Jamiroquai) en some people from Thunder. Het first song is very orchestral and majestic and then there's music kinda like ELP, Rainbow, Kansas or even Colosseum II. People who like Hammond organ and much instrumental passages with violin and piano : this is for you ! Great album !

Rick and Roll 02-15-2008 07:22 AM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikM (Post 31836)
ABOUT DON AIREY

"A light in the sky" is a very various album with singer Carl Sentance (Krokus), on guitar Rob Harris (Jamiroquai) en some people from Thunder. Het first song is very orchestral and majestic and then there's music kinda like ELP, Rainbow, Kansas or even Colosseum II. People who like Hammond organ and much instrumental passages with violin and piano : this is for you ! Great album !

jamiroquai and krokus? that's a combination :-o~

Thanks Erik, it's on my list to check out! (of course that means I'll end up getting it in six months)

gr8sho92 02-17-2008 09:59 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
I've been cycling through my Genesis collection over the past week. After W&W, I was mentally prepared for ATTWT, but lo and behold, Seconds Out came on. I listened to the whole thing, and then decided it needed another play. This is really an outstanding live album and still amazes me. The flexibility of this line-up, without Gabriel, is phenomenal, and I'm still fascinated by the uncanniness of Collins singing classic PG tracks.

Dunno if Jim reads this particular thread or not, but I think there is a strong case to be made for this album to be added to the library.

One minor blemish on this I think is the treatment of Dance on a Volcano by Phil where he does that annoying word repeat when singing that he used a lot at the height of their pop movement.

Thanks Jim! :thumbsup:

museman 02-19-2008 05:48 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5
 
Big Big Train-The Difference Machine
Guy Manning-Songs from Bilston House
Galahad-Empires Never Last
Steve Thorne-Emotional Creatures II
Phideaux-Doomsdday Afternoon
The mars Volta-Bedlam in Goliath
The Tangent-Going off On One
Riverside-Rapid Eye Movement
Combination Head-Progress


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Integrated by BBpixel Team 2020 :: jvbPlugin R1011.362.1
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.