Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion/Prog News (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How many CDs/Recordings Have Your Purchased? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536)

Naminanu 06-11-2003 03:39 PM

I've bought about 5 directly, 3 indirectly, and 1 from another source.

2 Crucible (Excellent!!)
5 Galleon (You must add the other 3 albums!)
1 Spock's Beard
1 Iluvatar (indirect)

Err, this doesn't count the other Yes albums, a double
album tape of Kansas, and a host of other MP3's.....

Rick and Roll 06-11-2003 09:02 PM

Crucible / Iluvatar

I have the first one - I know they have at least another on (Curtains?) - how is it?

Iluvatar is from my neck of the woods. If you do not have Children get that immediately. You will love it. The first one is also great. the third is pretty good.

Powerslave 06-12-2003 08:39 AM

Galleon

FYI Naminanu:

Galleon has four albums that are not available on the request list, not three. As a huge Galleon fan myself, I wanted to make sure you weren't missing one.

Lynx (1993)
Heritage & Visions (1994)
King Of Aragon (1995)
The All-European Hero (1996)
Mind Over Matter (1998) --my personal favorite
Beyond Dreams (2000)

The new 2-disc album will hopefully be completed and released this year.

BTW, I puchased all these albums after hearing them on AM.

progdirjim 06-12-2003 12:34 PM

Re: Crucible / Iluvatar

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I have the first one - I know they have at least another on (Curtains?) - how is it?

Curtains is good but of a lesser light than Tall Tales. Worth getting, but not quite the equal of Tall Tales. I should say that I think Tall Tales is an EXCELLENT album, so "not quite the equal of" is still pretty good.

We have Curtains on AM, so you can listen to it and decide for yourself!

Rick and Roll 06-12-2003 01:32 PM

as usual...

Very helpful.

Thanks Jim!

Naminanu 06-13-2003 11:06 AM

Re Crucible/Galleon

Actually, I think I like the 2nd Crucible album better than the first. It took me a few listens to come to that
conclusion. The second album is closer to Genesis' Wind and Wuthering era. The only problem with the album is
that it is somewhat short time-wise.

I didn't realize that Galleon had another album called Mind over Matter. I don't recall seeing that on the Kinesis site.
Well, I guess this means that I'm one album short, and will need to make up for that!

Powerslave 06-16-2003 12:19 PM

Mind Over Matter

I think I got my copy from Kinesis; they don't always have a band's entire catalog in stock. If they aren't carrying it, try Syn-Phonic Music ( http://synphonic.8m.com/ ).

This is their "epic" album with the shortest track at around 8 minutes, 3 between 10 and 14 minutes and a 21-minute closer. Great stuff!

Scott Sloan 06-23-2003 06:08 PM

Purchased CD's...

I am a long-time listener to Prog Rock, but until I discovered AM, I didn't realize that PR was indeed alive and well. Not only have I bought a fairly impressive number of CD's, through the site's 'BUY' function, but I have discovered a host of new groups who now have an honored and permanent place on my iPod. And I will be seeing The Flower Kings live at the end of this week in NYC. I consider it a fortunate day when I discovered AM... (8^)>

spedblavio 06-24-2003 09:44 AM

A couple more acquisitions resulting from stuff heard on AM:

Krakatoa's latest album "We Are the Rowboats"
and
their previous album "Togetherness" (which is not in the AM list, but I found a couple MP3's to listen to at www.etherdrag.com).

Both are available at ZNR, and "We Are the Rowboats" and shipping are cheaper there than Amazon.

ÄlveKatt 06-27-2003 04:29 AM

I think i will buy Liquid Tension Experiment 2 this month because of AM. I probably will. Wich means i must borrow money from my parents and be on minus again.

Damn you AuralMoon! ;)

KeithieW 06-27-2003 12:30 PM

Poor but happy

Just taken delivery of the 25th album bought from listening to AM.

Not all have been CDs though. As a Vinyl Junkie I've tracked a few down in Record Fairs and second hand shops. For example I got hold of a couple of mint condition "Brand X" albums for the princely sum of £4.00 ($6.50).

Still on the look out for more..............

Rick and Roll 06-27-2003 01:11 PM

Now that's some unorthodox behavior!

Keith - did you ever get that Frank Gambale? If so, what do you think?

KeithieW 06-27-2003 01:29 PM

Frankie G.

Hi Rick,

Yes I did and i've played it nearly every day since it arrived.......it's great and thank you for the recommendation.

Don't know if you're listening but Hawkwind are on at the moment and I'm here having a Brainstorm listening to it......yes it was me that requested it!!!! I've just ordered Space Ritual Part 2 from amazon because of this damned station. I went to see Space Ritual when they played it in 1973 (I think) and it was literraly a HUGE BUZZ!!!

KeithieW 06-27-2003 02:49 PM

On a Roll or what????

Just heard Transatlantic "SMPTe" track and ordered it. I've heard it before but it really hit home today so I decided I had to have it...........so I clicked and it's on it's way.

Damn, Damn, Damn.
:D :D :D

ÄlveKatt 07-10-2003 05:57 AM

I ordered Liquid Tension Experiment. LTE2.

Now i have to wait. And mutter about the hole formed in my wallet. I ordered Flower Kings Rainmaker too. And Images and words by Dream Theater.

The two latter came today. :)

Rick and Roll 07-10-2003 09:17 AM

2 cd's

Enjoy Images and Words, it's all downhill from there. They still are good, it's just that's they're most consistent effort.

There's a song on Rainmaker called "Serious Dreamers" that is the perfect union of Yes and Todd Rundgren. Great keyboard lines in the center of the song.

ÄlveKatt 07-11-2003 05:48 AM

It's damn good. I have Awake and Six degress of inner turbulence too.

And i must say that i think Awake is at least equal to Images and words. (But that is my preference i gather.)

Rick and Roll 07-13-2003 12:37 PM

I agree with that. Awake is very good.

I just got Focus 8, Snow, and A Night For Baku. Baku (Djam Karet) is incredible - another fine effort by these guys. The concept and execution are stellar.

Snow is basic Spock's Beard - good enough to own, but not outstanding. The Focus is very cool. Only Thijs left, but a nice, clean sound. Very tasteful.

KeithieW 08-16-2003 05:03 AM

Still buying!!!!

Now up to 35 albums via AM.

That rates at about 3 a month. Not that I'm complaining but my wife is!!!!:D

jsoques 08-22-2003 01:12 PM

Canarios ----- Ciclos
Transatlantic ----- Live