Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Digressive Rock Hour (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   June Poll! (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6867)

Yesspaz 05-17-2016 10:14 PM

June Poll!

Time for another Moonster vote for DRH Album Feature. The options this time are diverse.

U2 - The Joshua Tree
"Progressive" in the sense that nothing had sounded like it before, except maybe bits of U2's earlier work, this album is phenomenal from the first note to the last, regardless of genre.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderly, John Coltrane, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, Bill Evans, and Wynton Kelly combine to create what is widely regarded as the single greatest jazz album of all time. Duane Allman said there was a two year span where it was the only thing he listened too, and that's how he learned to solo.

Radiohead - OK Computer
The masterpiece of 1997, unquestionably. This is where Radiohead truly morphed from grungy alt-rockers into the most progressive non-prog band, into true artists breaking new ground with a vengeance.

Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends
Old friends sat on their park bench like bookends. A newspaper blown through the grass falls on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends. Old friends, winter companions, the old men, lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset. The sounds of the city sifting through trees settle like dust on the shoulders of the old friends. Can you imagine us years from today, sharing a park bench quietly? How terribly strange to be seventy.

mariocc 05-18-2016 07:44 AM

Re: June Poll!

no doubt ! Davis,,,, what that album made in western music culture was transcendental ,,unforgettable tunes,,unforgettable solos,,, each of them a complete tune by itself,,, hundred of musicians players or listeners had put it one of the most influencial albums all time,,,sooooooo agree

cheers amigos

podakayne 05-18-2016 03:51 PM

i adore the life story of Bookends, and The Joshua Tree is phenomenal, not that familiar with all the Radiohead but i remember some of it...but Miles...and that lineup...gotta go with that one hands down, one of my very fav lps even my mom liked it. (LOL i should really say I liked it as it was her lp that i listened to—thanks mom!)

Mike413 05-18-2016 08:24 PM

I own kind of blue but actually have not listened to it yet.

Ok computer is in my opinion rather over rated. There are a few great tracks but several that don't do much for me. It would have made a great ep.

I'm not familiar with that S&G album so that would be cool to hear.

I have a soft spot for that U2 album. I was a big prog fan by the time it was released(really into Yes and Genesis and KC at the time)but I still liked some mainstream music and wanted to hear something a bit different. That album scratched that itch for me back in 1988 and it actually does have a little bit of a proggish element at times(especially on side two). The whole album has a mood that perfectly fits a rainy or overcast day. It's brooding and very powerful at times. Probably my favorite U2 album. Needless to say this is the one I voted for.

Yesspaz 05-18-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike413 (Post 54828)
I own kind of blue but actually have not listened to it yet.

Ok computer is in my opinion rather over rated. There are a few great tracks but several that don't do much for me. It would have made a great ep.

I'm not familiar with that S&G album so that would be cool to hear.

Oh, wow, you have to listen to Kind of Blue. If the first time you hear it is on DRH, that'd be cool. It's currently winning.

Oh, wow, I couldn't disagree with you more on OK Computer. There's not a bad note on that album - eleven masterpieces (and one throwaway noise track, analogous to Revolution 9 on The White Album).

Oh, wow, Bookends is the best S&G album.

Eventually, I'll end up playing all four of these, of course.

8-q

Yesspaz 05-19-2016 02:36 PM

Wow. Kind of Blue has more votes than the other three combined!

mariocc 05-19-2016 02:39 PM

I would vote again for it ...is it possible ? kind a bonus track

Yesspaz 05-19-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariocc (Post 54831)
I would vote again for it ...is it possible ? kind a bonus track

Nah, everyon e gets one vote. :neener:

progdirjim 05-19-2016 05:43 PM

I voted for S&G. We have enough Miles on the Moon already that I don't think we need to hear a whole album of his on DRH. Joshua Tree is an all time favorite album, but I've listened to it a lot. OK Computer is appropriately titled - it is OK. That leaves a fantastic singer/songwriter album from masters of the craft, and a genre I (really)<--I meant to type RARELY spin for myself. An easy choice.

mariocc 05-19-2016 08:48 PM

I understand,,please let me know if I am wrong,, it s about an album with significant merits..indubitable musical contribution,,,not how often it has been played or heard or how available it is. I would vote again and again Kind Of Blue. I think it could be first time we disagree amigo...if I m not wrong on this too Cheersssss ,

Mike413 05-19-2016 09:41 PM

Yeah, I actually think the Bends is a more solid album from start to finish but that's just me.

emperorken 05-20-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progdirjim (Post 54833)
I voted for S&G. We have enough Miles on the Moon already that I don't think we need to hear a whole album of his on DRH. Joshua Tree is an all time favorite album, but I've listened to it a lot. OK Computer is appropriately titled - it is OK. That leaves a fantastic singer/songwriter album from masters of the craft, and a genre I really spin for myself. An easy choice.

Well put, Jim. I voted for S&G also. Not a fan of Miles Davis or Radiohead at all.

Mike413 05-20-2016 04:16 PM

Am I the only child of the 80's on this forum? :P

Yesspaz 05-20-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike413 (Post 54838)
Am I the only child of the 80's on this forum? :P

1979, baby! 8-)

artw 05-22-2016 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing against Radiohead, I like some of their music but technically shouldn't this album be disqualified from DRH?

Paranoid Android is on the moon.

Attachment 923

Art

Yesspaz 05-23-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artw (Post 54844)
Nothing against Radiohead, I like some of their music but technically shouldn't this album be disqualified from DRH?

Paranoid Android is on the moon.

Art

Dude, it's one song. Besides, I am the rules! :smirk: :yougo

Mike413 05-24-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesspaz (Post 54840)
1979, baby! 8-)

Actually I was a teen in the eighties. How many little kids are really into music? The only band I liked as a kid(single digits)was the Beatles. Actually they are about the only one I knew about until I got into pop and then Led Zeppelin around age 12.

Yesspaz 06-21-2016 08:36 PM

Just a bump to remind everyone to vote. The poll will close on Monday, June 27, and the winner will play on Tuesday, June 28.

:)

mariocc 06-22-2016 11:49 AM

it s a race already won :)

ramsgate 06-22-2016 02:40 PM

Bookends.