Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Suggestions (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   call for a FK moratorium (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325)

VAXman 08-20-2004 07:41 PM

call for a FK moratorium

ENOUGH!

I love the Flower Kings, reallly! I have all of their CDs and I have seen them more than 1/2 dozen times in concert. I have T-shirts, CDs and programs autographed by the band. However, the appearance of the FK -- especially tracks from Adam & Eve -- every hour is getting to be TOOOOOOOOOOO much. These requests make "Rome" requests seems rare!

Rick and Roll 08-20-2004 08:34 PM

wish i listened more

I've heard two songs each once...and some at Nearfest (don't remember them...) - tell me vax...is it good!:D

Steady Stan 08-20-2004 09:41 PM

I too think that, at least during the times I listen (8 am to 6 pm M-F), that there is a preponderance of the Flower Kings. I enjoy their music, but I find that I'm irritated when one of their songs comes on now.

Makes me long for one of those rarely heard nuggets, say... "Stairway to Heaven"

So many bands, so little time...

Yesspaz 08-20-2004 11:29 PM

I agree, but it's more than that. There's too much:
  • The Flower Kings - Driver's Seat
  • The Flower Kings - I am the Sun
  • The Flower Kings - Love Supreme
  • Transatlantic - All of the Above
  • Transatlantic - Duel With the Devil
  • Transatlantic - In Held ('Twas) In I
  • Transatlantic - Stranger In Your Soul
  • Strangefish - Oceans Deep

All these songs need a rest. That's my two cents anyway.

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-21-2004 11:53 PM

Re: call for a FK moratorium

Quote:

Originally posted by VAXman
ENOUGH!

I love the Flower Kings, reallly! I have all of their CDs and I have seen them more than 1/2 dozen times in concert. I have T-shirts, CDs and programs autographed by the band. However, the appearance of the FK -- especially tracks from Adam & Eve -- every hour is getting to be TOOOOOOOOOOO much. These requests make "Rome" requests seems rare!

Ya know, it's funny. I heard people in white talking about FK playing "AGAIN", so I hopped on the station and took a look at the history. I mean, really, it couldn't be THAT bad, could it?

From 6am EDT to 3pm EDT, there were SEVEN FK songs that played. FOUR from Adam and Eve ALONE.

Hrm, I thought to myself, there might be something to what they've been saying.

So I ran the report on everything that had been requested in the last 48 hours.

FK was WELL in the lead, with 12, followed by Yes at 7.

OK, so maybe there IS something to what they've been saying.

It's making the RQ free day look VERY enticing.

As soon as PDJ and I have some free moments in common where we can discuss the issue, I'll broach the subject to him. See if we can pin down some sort of solution to this precipitous issue.

Roger -Dot- Lee, who has a few ideas, but doesn't want to implement willy-nilly.

roger 08-22-2004 08:23 AM

Re: Re: call for a FK moratorium

Quote:

Originally posted by Roger Lee
doesn't want to implement willy-nilly.
I've never heard of them. are they any good? who do they sound like? :D

Rick and Roll 08-22-2004 09:51 AM

related to

Milli Vanilli, only willy nilly does their own tunes, including the epic "Free Willy", a whale of a song!

Yesspaz 08-22-2004 02:46 PM

Yesspaz gives credit where credit is due, in this case, a stunne of a post by Rick and Roll.

Yesspaz 08-23-2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yesspaz
I agree, but it's more than that. There's too much:
  • The Flower Kings - Driver's Seat
  • The Flower Kings - I am the Sun
  • The Flower Kings - Love Supreme
  • Transatlantic - All of the Above
  • Transatlantic - Duel With the Devil
  • Transatlantic - In Held ('Twas) In I
  • Transatlantic - Stranger In Your Soul
  • Strangefish - Oceans Deep

All these songs need a rest. That's my two cents anyway.

Add to that Marillion - Grendel (Fair Deal Studios Version).

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-23-2004 07:52 PM

Quote:

Add to that Marillion - Grendel (Fair Deal Studios Version).
GAH! didn't you learn from the Mr Ten Percent fiasco?

Dr. Dot sighs and prepares for at least three playings per day of Grendel.

:p

Yesspaz 08-24-2004 10:06 AM

ok, try this: run the report on everything that had been requested in the last two wee hours. Betcha Grendel is a top five most requested song, amongst the others on that list.

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-24-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

ok, try this: run the report on everything that had been requested in the last two wee hours. Betcha Grendel is a top five most requested song, amongst the others on that list.
I'll need a definition of "wee hours". Or I could run a report on everything that's been requested over the last 48 hours.

(Incidentally, I did that on sunday. FK was tops at 12, and I believe Yes came in second with 7. Grendel (in fact, all Marillion) was way down the list, as I recall. This applies to both RQs and randomly picked songs).

Roger -Dot- Lee, larnin' th' sof'wahr as good as he kin.

Yesspaz 08-24-2004 11:33 AM

wow, how did I write "wee hours"? I meant to highlight the word "hours" and replace it with "week." Run the report for a week is what I meant.

I understand Yes had 7 but wasn't it 7 different songs? I'm wondering what the most played songs were, not artists, and I bet Grendel was a majorly high one.

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-24-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

wow, how did I write "wee hours"? I meant to highlight the word "hours" and replace it with "week." Run the report for a week is what I meant.

Ah. That makes more sense. I'll run the report and we'll go from there.

Quote:

I understand Yes had 7 but wasn't it 7 different songs? I'm wondering what the most played songs were, not artists, and I bet Grendel was a majorly high one.

Actually, it was 3 different songs, as I recall, spread out 3, 2, 1, 1 (IE one song three times, one song twice, and two others once).

Of the FK, as I recall, it was more like 5, 3, 2, 2 (or maybe 4, 4, 3, 2).

I didn't notice Grendel, but I doubt it played more than three times in the 48 hour period I sampled. Had I seen it, I'd have noticed and commented on it.

When I get back from signing metric cartloads of paperwork for the new job (obYay: Yay), I'll run it again and see what I come up with.

Roger -Dot- Lee, did I mention Yay?

Rick and Roll 08-24-2004 01:35 PM

Boys.......................

I love you guys, but sometimes you really need to get perspective.

Roger, what you're doing with researching and talking to Jim is perfect. And Jim said he would try different solutions. But I'm weary of this analysis in this format. I'm sorry I just think it's counterproductive.

If I read back correctly, vaxman has a request .....not an invitation to analyze the shit out of it. Again, your dedication and quick response to this a great thing. Just let us know when you come up with a plan.

Some other points:

1) Take into account the global listeners. Time zones, etc.

2) An offshoot band followed by the main band (Yes then Sherwood/Squire, FK then Kaipa) - a way to abuse the requests. I've seen this happen too many times to be a coincidence.

3) Requesting a short tune in order to keep the band from repeating. Possibility for major abuse.

4) As for songs needing a rest (and bands too), maybe let the consensus mostly decide.

5) If you're not on the station 24/7, you can't really be 100% sure what is too much...again..solicit opinions.

Thanks!

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-24-2004 06:31 PM

Re: Boys.......................

Right. Time to give Rick a brief lesson in "How To Do Shit Right and Not Appear Like A Chowderhead"...

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I love you guys, but sometimes you really need to get perspective.

You assume many things, my young friend.

Quote:

Roger, what you're doing with researching and talking to Jim is perfect. And Jim said he would try different solutions. But I'm weary of this analysis in this format. I'm sorry I just think it's counterproductive.

Ya know, Rick, in all the articles I've read that you've posted, I don't think I've EVER read anything I disagree with so totally and emphatically. NOT doing any analysis is an invitation to generate garbage at best, and Windows XP at worst. Analysis, in a format that is productive for the analyst, is never counter productive if you're actually researching the goal. You seem to have this idea that I pour through reams of paper, looking at play times and the like. I don't. The format, when sorted by artist and then by song title, is anayzed somewhat like this:

a...b...c...d...hrm, three by echolyn, spread out nicely....f...

HOLY SMOKES! THAT'S 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,
[kicks off shoes] 11,12 TWELVE FLOWER KING SONGS during this period. And there are a LOT of repeats in there..."

g...Genesis. Yeah, I know...h...i...j...k... Blasted King Crimson, but at least it's not a bunch of repeats...l...m...hrm. Someone likes Grendel...n...o

And so it goes.

Quote:

If I read back correctly, vaxman has a request .....not an invitation to analyze the shit out of it. Again, your dedication and quick response to this a great thing. Just let us know when you come up with a plan.

I've come up with a plan.

Quote:

Some other points:

1) Take into account the global listeners. Time zones, etc.

I do. I'm well aware, not only from white but from the access logs on all the streams, that we've got users all over the world. Six continents, folks.

Quote:

2) An offshoot band followed by the main band (Yes then Sherwood/Squire, FK then Kaipa) - a way to abuse the requests. I've seen this happen too many times to be a coincidence.

Yah, I've noticed that too. Perhaps you can tell me how to go about setting things up to keep this from happening.

Quote:

3) Requesting a short tune in order to keep the band from repeating. Possibility for major abuse.

Yep. Anyone know of a 10 second GY!BE song? :p

Quote:

4) As for songs needing a rest (and bands too), maybe let the consensus mostly decide.

OK, how do we draw this concensus? Do we poll people in white? Set up a poll on the main page for every nominated song? Do we set up a forum just for overplayed song nomina...

Oops. Sorry, overanalyzing things again...

Quote:

5) If you're not on the station 24/7, you can't really be 100% sure what is too much...again..solicit opinions.
Thanks!

uh, we have been. And we've been listening. Granted, we DO have lives, so we don't get to things right away, but we DO listen.

And, of course, sometimes we just say "no".

Rick and Roll 08-24-2004 06:42 PM

I don't believe.....

I've ever been taken to the woodshed in such a fashion...

and enjoyed it so much!

Thank you for a very enlightining post....I pretty much agree with what you've said (esp the 10 sec GYBE...thought of that too).

Before I digest the crow I've eaten.....I do want to say I am a bit apprehensive about what may happen....and maybe that's my fear here...that although we have grand intentions we will create new issues.

I think that may explain - but not justify - my post.

Just warn me next time you kick off your shoes!:p

progdirjim 08-24-2004 06:56 PM

Re: I don't believe.....

Quote:

I do want to say I am a bit apprehensive about what may happen....and maybe that's my fear here...that although we have grand intentions we will create new issues.

I am always concerned about making changes to something that's working pretty damn well, and don't mind being reminded of it. The good news is, the things we're talking about, take about 5 minutes to undo.

I don't think we'll get much negative feedback, because I don't believe the regular posters are the abusive requesters.

I don't want to chase ANYONE away, but if someone is requesting Flower Kings 5 times a day, not posting in the forums, and not chatting, well, I'd rather lose that person than say Queen Poda or Zvinki.

Roger -Dot- Lee 08-24-2004 06:56 PM

Re: I don't believe.....

Quote:

I've ever been taken to the woodshed in such a fashion...

and enjoyed it so much!

I live but to serve.

Quote:

Thank you for a very enlightining post....I pretty much agree with what you've said (esp the 10 sec GYBE...thought of that too).

Just bringing out the point that this is a double edged sword. If we all play nice, then everyone will be happy. Especially your friendly neighborhood program director and his toothless redneck henchman.

Quote:

Before I digest the crow I've eaten.....I do want to say I am a bit apprehensive about what may happen....and maybe that's my fear here...that although we have grand intentions we will create new issues.

There's always the potential for abuse in any system. We just need to decide what we want to put up with for the benefits. Call it a trade-off, if you wish. The best way to avoid abuse of requests is to remove requests entirely, but that's one of the biggest draws about Aural Moon -- the ability to make requests.

Quote:

Not a problem.

Quote:

Just warn me next time you kick off your shoes!:p

And lose the element of surprise? Don't be absurd.

Roger -Dot- Lee, downwind