Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion/Prog News (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Really, Phil? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4932)

OverHillandDale 03-06-2011 07:55 AM

Really, Phil?

Talk amongst yourselves.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/05/...-music/?hpt=T2

VAXman 03-06-2011 11:46 AM

Re: Really, Phil?

Quote:

Today's world of MTV Music Awards and artists who care more about celebrity status than making music make the choice easy. -- Phil Collins
I certainly can't fault him or argue that!!!

Diff_Drummer 03-07-2011 10:37 AM

Say what you will about how he and Genesis progressed over the years, but he was a major force in prog music. Just listen to his drumming on everything from Suppers Ready to Domino.

OK, so he took a different path on his solo material. What's wrong with that? He had a love of many different styles of music so he explored them. People don't beat up Keith Emerson for doing jazz, honky tonk or writing a piano concerto, so why get down on Phil for doing more top 40 and Motown inspired music? He also had a great sense of humor and didn't seem to take himself too seriously, even though his ego got in his way on occasions.

He will always be one of my favorite drummers, but I can understand him wanting to retire in this era of no talent pop divas and rap performers whose only claim to fame is looking good in a video. Phil, you will be missed.

Diff_Drummer 03-07-2011 11:01 AM

Turns out that article was not completely accurate. Here is a post from Phils web site that sets the record straight.

Greetings to all, I've decided to write this in response to the articles that surfaced last weekend regarding my retirement. Why they were printed at all is a mystery, as I haven't spoken to anybody in the press for a few months.

However, many of the articles printed over the last few months have ended up painting a picture of me that is more than a little distorted. Therefore, I would like to add my comments and try to explain again my reasons for calling it a day.

1/ I'm not stopping because of dodgy reviews or bad treatment in the press.

2/ I'm not stopping because I don't feel loved, I know I still have a very large fanbase that loves what I do. Thank you.

3/ I'm not stopping because I don't fit in, this was proved with "Going Back" reaching No 1 in the UK, and doing incredibly well worldwide.

4/ I'm not stopping so I can dive full time into my interest for the Alamo.

I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis.

Some of the things mentioned above have been said by me in various interviews, but said as asides with a smile on my face and in passing. They were not meant to be "headlines", they were small parts of a conversation. This clearly doesn't come over in print and I should know better.

However, the result is that I have ended up sounding like a tormented weirdo who thinks he was at the Alamo in another life, who feels very sorry for himself, and is retiring hurt because of the bad press over the years.

None of this is true.

Thanks for all your messages on the Forum regarding this stuff, it means a lot that you care.
But there's no need for the straitjacket !

PC x

SOURCE:

http://www.philcollins.com/us/news/b...eml=3 6354921

dnsrees 03-07-2011 01:44 PM

Well said Diff - cheers....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diff_Drummer (Post 45445)
Say what you will about how he and Genesis progressed over the years, but he was a major force in prog music. Just listen to his drumming on everything from Suppers Ready to Domino.

OK, so he took a different path on his solo material. What's wrong with that? He had a love of many different styles of music so he explored them. People don't beat up Keith Emerson for doing jazz, honky tonk or writing a piano concerto, so why get down on Phil for doing more top 40 and Motown inspired music? He also had a great sense of humor and didn't seem to take himself too seriously, even though his ego got in his way on occasions.

He will always be one of my favorite drummers, but I can understand him wanting to retire in this era of no talent pop divas and rap performers whose only claim to fame is looking good in a video. Phil, you will be missed.

VAXman 03-07-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diff_Drummer (Post 45445)

Exactly what I meant with my comment.

You can't spell crap without RAP.

Laudio9 03-07-2011 02:43 PM

Phil had the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing simpler music by putting his sticks down, turning on a drum machine and using that golden (gabriel inspired) voice.....so he did....good for him....But back in the day, it was Bruford, Collins and Palmer who were the 3 big names in rock drumming and the stuff he did with Brand X stands on its own....Phil was a great drummer and the vocal harmonies with Peter Gabriel were great also....it wasn't til he stole Peters voice and took Genesis into Popland that we all started to despise him....it was a gradual process...with each album after gabriel and after hackett...genesis got progressively....non progressive....and then phils solo works went beyond "non-progressive" to progressively non-listenable.....
BUT... I have to say, that in the past couple of years Phil has recapitulated his life and has come out and said he actually cringes when he watches some of the Genesis video stuff when he first took over the vocal reins...he admits to being an egotistic smart ass and regrets it now but at the time I guess thats what he had to do to keep the GenesisMonster moving..... ANYWAY...If Peter Gabriel asked him to be best man at his wedding...then Phil is alright with me, I guess..., especially if he stops making the solo nonsense that he's put out over the past 20 years....I feel bad for his health but I'm grateful for the early music he's given us and just as grateful that he's calling it quits....FYI Collins is one of only three recording artists (along with Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson) who have sold over 100 million albums worldwide both as solo artists and (separately) as principal members of a band. good for him...
Hey, I have a pretty good cd from Phils son...Simon Collins -
U Catastrophe....its not bad if you're looking for Collins stuff..same DNA anyway.....

Yesspaz 03-07-2011 04:00 PM

I don't think he "copied" Gabriel's voice. That's his voice. They sound similar, but not close enough to call him a clone, like dozens of modern prog bands.

And I know it's hard for Genesis-Heads to believe, but some of us actually like Collins-era prog-Genesis better than Gabriel-era. I'll take "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" over "Can Utility and the Coast-Liners" everyday, and "Domino" over "Supper's Ready."

Yesspaz 03-07-2011 04:02 PM

PS, but you can keep the pop ballad stuff like "Invisible Touch" and "No Son of Mine."

sharcnorris 03-07-2011 04:16 PM

I was watching CNN this morning when the crawl said ...Phil Collins retires. I hit up google and read about 5 accounts. Only in reading Phil's own release (thanks diff), Its was clear the Press is crazy. No where in Phil's release does it say he retires, quit because of pain in his body, or any of the crap reported. Phil is Sixty, I very thankful to watch his long career. Thanks for the tremendous sounds Phil, Your the best..... p.s. you kicked ass 4 years ago in the Genesis tour!!!!

mariocc 03-07-2011 04:48 PM

I read some interviews and it was a surprise that there are many people with very rude words to him..I mean people doing music or trying to do. To me, Collins is a real musician, good player, good composer, very complete artist. As I said before talking about other musician, you can like him or not but he has something to say. That s what music needs, even in pop music. Not a fan of his pop work but there s no doubt that it s well done in comparison to extreme poverty of these days.

mariocc 03-07-2011 04:56 PM

..I want to hear music made by people who PLAY...

progdirjim 03-07-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesspaz (Post 45451)
And I know it's hard for Genesis-Heads to believe, but some of us actually like Collins-era prog-Genesis better than Gabriel-era. I'll take "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" over "Can Utility and the Coast-Liners" everyday, and "Domino" over "Supper's Ready."

OK, different opinions aside, that's crazy talk, and no smiley on purpose.

VAXman 03-08-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progdirjim (Post 45456)

ProgDirJim -- always a voice of sound mind reasoning! ;)

Yesspaz 03-08-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progdirjim (Post 45456)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAXman (Post 45457)
ProgDirJim -- always a voice of sound mind reasoning! ;)

Bah! "Bah!" I say! Can insane people legitimately get away with calling others crazy? :hmph:

TheFish 03-08-2011 04:51 PM

Are we done yet? :moresnore

spewie 03-08-2011 06:22 PM

Phil did some great vocals during his time, he sang with folks like Anthony Philips, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, John Cale, Jack Lancaster and Steve Hackett. That is how I remember Phil!

Laudio9 03-09-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spewie (Post 45460)
Phil did some great vocals during his time, he sang with folks like Anthony Philips, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, John Cale, Jack Lancaster and Steve Hackett. That is how I remember Phil!

This thread is getting to sound like an obituary...... you know he's not
quite dead yet..... he's only "mostly dead":D

OverHillandDale 03-09-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laudio9 (Post 45461)
This thread is getting to sound like an obituary...... you know he's not
quite dead yet..... he's only "mostly dead":D

I heard a rumor that Collins and Bruford are moving into the Snare Valley Community for retired percussionists.