Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Moon (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   An Aural Moon special series (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5071)

TheFish 06-23-2011 09:25 AM

An Aural Moon special series

Since I'm going to do a show of American Prog on our Independence day, I thought it could possibly raise the ire of our non American Moonies.

So I came up with the idea of doing a series separate special For each of the countries that have a sizable presence in Progressive rock.

Jim and I (and Mariocc) kicked it around last night and here is a rough sketch.

The show will coincide (somewhat) with the countries founders day, or independence day (however it's referred to). This poses problems to be worked out later. Like: When was England founded? Is there a hard date?

The show will feature that countries prog bands.

I will let moonies from said country (If there are any) do the song selection. (with guidance :D ) 1 hour I think. In the case of England 1 hour won't cut it.

Well, that's the Germ. Details to be worked out.

What say you Moonies?

Ted 06-23-2011 09:28 AM

Re: An Aural Moon special series

Great idea Fish.

As long as someone is overseeing it - I presume you - then this is a wonderful idea - and a focus on a particular country will give more exposure to certain groups - always a good think.

Thanks for taking the discussion to the next step.

Regards from Tejas,
Ted

tobytanzer 06-23-2011 12:26 PM

Great idea fish!
Canada Day is July 1st. I can send you some suggestions for an hour of Canadian prog...no problem, unless you want it for next week.

warrplayer 06-23-2011 03:37 PM

Guy Fawkes Day for England!

lotus 06-23-2011 04:10 PM

Oct, 3rd 1990, Day of the Unification of Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Unity_Day)

It would be great to hear a selection of your choice of RPWL, Grobschnitt, Kraftwerk, Sylvan, Kraan, Can (please select a short one), Blind Ego, etc etc

Iyou want Fish, I can propose a list, but as there are also DE-Moonies I guess it is the best you select some..:)

Mike413 06-23-2011 06:50 PM

I have some ideas for songs for the fourth of July. I can either post them here or send you a pm.

thegooze 06-26-2011 09:47 AM

Suite Madame Blue-Styx and America by Yes come to mind. How about anything from "American Pie" despite the fact they are a Russian band.:notsure: Get those illegal fireworks time! :rawk: July 4th

gr8sho92 06-26-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFish (Post 46487)
I will let moonies from said country (If there are any) do the song selection. (with guidance :D ) 1 hour I think. In the case of England 1 hour won't cut it.

Mat, You and I (and several others) share Italian heritage. Garibaldi successfully unified Italy 150 years ago and seeing that the boot has been a strong contributor to prog deserves a belated celebration (hint hint). The anniversary was marked on March 16th.

PeterG 06-26-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobytanzer (Post 46491)
Great idea fish!
Canada Day is July 1st. I can send you some suggestions for an hour of Canadian prog...no problem, unless you want it for next week.

An hour of Canadian prog... So... We'll play one and a half Rush albums?

(kidding, of course)
8-)

artw 06-27-2011 08:18 PM

You come up here and say that!

artw 06-27-2011 08:19 PM

Funny pic this time?

Yesspaz 06-28-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterG (Post 46527)
An hour of Canadian prog... So... We'll play one and a half Rush albums?

Godspeed You Black Emperor! and Do Make Say Think are Canadian. Just saying. :-o~

[quote=TheFish;46487]Since I'm going to do a show of American Prog on our Independence day, I thought it could possibly raise the ire of our non American Moonies.[quote]Why should this raise any ire? Yes, we're a worldwide community and have worldwide musical representation, and even had a long-running show called Progressive Shores which featured a different country each week. That said, AM was started in American, is based in America, is owned by an American. Why should it be weird to do an American Prog show on Independence Day? If AM were based out of Italy I'd not be offended by and Italian prog show on March 16th. Makes sense to. Sorry if I made anyone angry, but I don't see the issue.

TheFish 06-28-2011 02:04 PM

[quote=Yesspaz;46539]Godspeed You Black Emperor! and Do Make Say Think are Canadian. Just saying. :-o~

To quote a very wise man: The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

And who the hell needs GYBE? Just sayin' 8-) and just kidding.