Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   IE8, Closer but still no cigar. (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4356)

gr8sho92 03-27-2009 10:15 PM

IE8, Closer but still no cigar.

M$ recently released the GA version of IE8. I remember reading that this version brings IE closer to standards based implementation for browsers. Things I've noticed over IE7.
  1. The who's online in the left pane now works to render colors correctly.
  2. The LMLU is better but still not quite right. Alternating font colors are not rendering properly. Also when the page opens for the first time, the LMLU area is painted white for over a minute before it renders.
  3. The embossed fonts don't show. I've only seen this work properly on Safari.

OverHillandDale 03-27-2009 10:53 PM

Re: IE8, Closer but still no cigar.

For the fonts to register properly you need to turn OFF the compatibility Mode under Tools (I think). That should bring it up to speed.

Still not 100%, but 25% is better than it was. :neener:

Yesspaz 03-27-2009 11:53 PM

uh, what?

VAXman 03-28-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8sho92 (Post 40997)
[*]The embossed fonts don't show. I've only seen this work properly on Safari.[/list]

FWIW, I have FireFox 3.1b2 beta on my Linux laptop and it renders the LMLU and the shadowed fonts beautifully.

gr8sho92 03-28-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverHillandDale (Post 40998)
For the fonts to register properly you need to turn OFF the compatibility Mode under Tools (I think). That should bring it up to speed.

Still not 100%, but 25% is better than it was. :neener:

I'm pretty sure it's running without comp mode. The LMLU takes a long long time to render and when it does, the color of the text is the same for all.

OverHillandDale 03-29-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8sho92 (Post 41016)
I'm pretty sure it's running without comp mode. The LMLU takes a long long time to render and when it does, the color of the text is the same for all.

For me, I unchecked Compatibility View in Tools, and the colors rendered properly - but no shadowing like FF 3.1 beta.

Go to settings to be sure that you remove www.auralmoon.com from the pages that are listed there.

teermin8r 03-29-2009 11:40 AM

Try Safari for Windows :D

gr8sho92 03-29-2009 09:38 PM

Most of the time I do use Safari for AM and other purposes. My OP was only informative for some folks that are interested in this (browser adherence to standards) sort of thing.

gr8sho92 03-29-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverHillandDale (Post 41024)
For me, I unchecked Compatibility View in Tools, and the colors rendered properly - but no shadowing like FF 3.1 beta.

Go to settings to be sure that you remove www.auralmoon.com from the pages that are listed there.

As long as you're talking about the LMLU and not the Who's Online. LMLU has no shadowing, just a lighter and darker alternating white font.

DamoXt7942 03-30-2009 01:32 AM

Folks, how 'bout SeaMonkey, my current browser?

VAXman 04-02-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamoXt7942 (Post 41031)
Folks, how 'bout SeaMonkey, my current browser?

I've been globetrotting and occupied with other things since returning, so I have commented about SeaMonkey.

I have SeaMonkey on one of my Linux boxes and it is also the engine behind the OpenVMS SWB (secure web browser). Both work fine on AM save for the rendering of the CSS text-shadow attribute which shows many of the headings with a pseudo-3D look. Only Safari and the very latest FireFox do this CSS attribute AFAIK.

I also had Opera installed somewhere (I don't recall now so I can't check) and, IIRC, it rendered the page correctly too save for the CSS text-shadow.