Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Suggestions (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What about a little bit of Malmsteen ? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1406)

Sharuru 09-24-2004 04:07 AM

What about a little bit of Malmsteen ?

I guess the guitar fans have requested it a lot of times, but try again. We've got some Satriani , we've got some metal as well (pain Of Salvation, Lana Lane), some metal-ish songs, i e aLkemia, Stange fish, so why not. For example Trilogy, or rising force are quite proggish...

Guitar-liking Moonies, help me :D

Rick and Roll 09-24-2004 07:54 AM

Guitar

Before Yngwie, I would expect some Steve Vai and the like to be added, they're a lot more worthy.

That being said....

Rising force I LOVE. So, I will work a song or two into my show at some point.

Too many things to play! this is GREAT!

Sharuru 09-24-2004 02:00 PM

good

can't waut to hear this show.Although I have to know when it's on air in my area...
:D

Yesspaz 09-24-2004 06:05 PM

Is he tasteful?

YMalm has chops, but what about that elusive quality called "taste"? That's the reason so many don't like Dream Theater. There're a lot of guitar heroes here, but they are generally tasteful: DiMeola, McLaughlin, Palacios..., Frehley.

PS, I'm asking if he's tasteful or not. I've never heard him, but that's the most common critique I hear.

progdirjim 09-25-2004 12:26 AM

the little I've heard of Malmsteen I wasn't impressed with - he shreds, but with little compostional value. But I've heard so little, I remain open minded. He is clearly talented...

Sharuru 09-25-2004 03:15 AM

of course he's done a lot of crap and he got a serious ego problem, but that being said he has been a part of the neo-classical mouvement, and has some really proggy tracks, putting aside his ability on guitar.

Of course if you don't like light-speed guitar playing, that's a problem but...

And personally, I prefer a lot M Romeo of Symphony X, but this guy is heavy and doesn't fit to AM (ballads would do it although).

teermin8r 09-25-2004 08:12 AM

The Malmsteen album that has the best chance of making Aural Moon in my opinion is

Concerto Suite For Electric Guitar And Orchestra In Flat Minor Op.1

A very good album with a classical concept. If you get a chance listen to Prelude to April. Awesome song.

Rick and Roll 09-25-2004 08:37 AM

rebuttal

the only one I like and own is Rising Force. It's heavier, but it's fine. Saw him open up for Triumuph in '83 I think...he swung the guitar around his back.

Jens Johannsen is all over that record too.

Jim assessment is fair......it's the compositional value that is at play. He's got that...it's just not real exciting.

Laying off the "taste" comment - don't really agree with that term. It's difficult to be super-fast and be interesting. I think Steve Vai comes close.

fugazifan 09-28-2004 08:27 PM

yngwie malmsteen is jesus christ on guitar i own every album by yngwie im yngwie malmsten freak yngwie malmsteen led me to prog rock lol the album which should be on here is attack his new one and alchemy these two are my faves yngwie is getting better every year derek sherinian is on his new album attack not much of him on it but next one by yngiwe if derek is on hell get his chops in hopefully yngwie goes thru musicians like water only thing that stinks but progressive in someway when dones this way reminds me of ayreons approach to music making long reply here

Rick and Roll 09-28-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fugazifan
yngwie malmsteen is jesus christ on guitar i own every album by yngwie im yngwie malmsten freak yngwie malmsteen led me to prog rock lol the album which should be on here is attack his new one and alchemy these two are my faves yngwie is getting better every year derek sherinian is on his new album attack not much of him on it but next one by yngiwe if derek is on hell get his chops in hopefully yngwie goes thru musicians like water only thing that stinks but progressive in someway when dones this way reminds me of ayreons approach to music making long reply here
can you say "stream of consciousness"?:D

fugazifan 09-28-2004 10:46 PM

my fave track stream of consciousness soundsl ike yngwie when i heard it then found out it was dt bought the album and said petrucci gones the way i wanted

moses 09-29-2004 07:39 AM

Collection

Come on, it's time to give give give!

You know you have extra punctuation sitting around at your house that you're not using. If you're like me you have entire shelves and drawers full of commas periods and exclamation points. This post is even doing without some of the punctuation I would normally use so that I can share with others

The thing is that some of our dear friends here on the moon have no punctuation to call their own. Some haven't had a comma in weeks. I think it's time that those of us that have extra give a little bit to those in need. Send those extras to Yulee Florida where a collection team will sort them out and distribute them.

Just kidding fugazifan! Love ya, and welcome to the Moon! :)

Rick and Roll 09-29-2004 07:44 AM

moses!

:D :D :D :D :D

Maybe we could borrow some from G!!Y,,!!!B@#@#@E*&^^^

Bob Lentil 09-29-2004 07:11 PM

Re: Collection

Quote:

Originally posted by moses
Come on, it's time to give give give!

You know you have extra punctuation sitting around at your house that you're not using. If you're like me you have entire shelves and drawers full of commas periods and exclamation points. This post is even doing without some of the punctuation I would normally use so that I can share with others

The thing is that some of our dear friends here on the moon have no punctuation to call their own. Some haven't had a comma in weeks. I think it's time that those of us that have extra give a little bit to those in need. Send those extras to Yulee Florida where a collection team will sort them out and distribute them.

Unbeknownst to many, I have been personally been running an underground punctuation theft ring in Yulee, Florida for some time now. We take from the needy to squander for our own twisted pleasure. .?!,;:.?!,;:.?!,;:.?!,;: Fwahhahahaah!!!!!

roger 09-29-2004 07:32 PM

psst...

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Lentil .?!,;:.?!,;:.?!,;:.?!,;:
ah, the crow flies at midnight...

fugazifan 09-29-2004 09:05 PM

excuse me idiots i have an english problem who cares if i dont punctustes it not your damn buisness christ i sucked at graamar in school and if one more person mocks it ill personally find a way to shove my foot uup your ass got it get voer it hypothetical aliens

Rick and Roll 09-29-2004 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fugazifan
excuse me idiots i have an english problem who cares if i dont punctustes it not your damn buisness christ i sucked at graamar in school and if one more person mocks it ill personally find a way to shove my foot uup your ass got it get voer it hypothetical aliens
considering your other posts had zero spelling errors, i find this post a little hard to follow.

Also you spelled "hypothetical" correctly (better than I) but misspelled "up". Is it you that is poking fun at us? Because we certainly weren't.

If I am incorrect, I apologize.

moses 09-30-2004 07:09 AM

One of these days...

...Moses will learn to keep his mouth shut! (errr, fingers crossed?)

I apologize for starting this. Don't be angry fugazifan, none of this was intended to be mean.

KeithieW 09-30-2004 07:22 AM

Re: One of these days...

Quote:

Originally posted by moses
Don't be angry fugazifan, none of this was intended to be mean.
Absolutely!!!!

When you get to know the Moon better (and we all hope you stick around fugazifan) you'll see that we always have a laugh and a joke with each other. It's never malicious though. If I were to take umbrage at some of the things people post about me there would be WW3 breaking out. I know it's not meant and take it for the joke that it is.

Enjoy the Moon for what it is. A great place to meet people and listen to SUPERB music.

RogorMortis 09-30-2004 07:28 AM

I've read some programming code during my life but I do need another compiler to understand Fugazi.

How about in Cobol