View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Borfus
Re: Aural Moon unlistenable

If I may just add my 2 cents re: "noise" -

I seems to me that, while I don't think this is the appropriate forum to discuss the definition of prog, I think that it is all about expanding the boundaries of musical convention. When Crimso and Yes and Genesis et. al. were first producing their music, it was mostly considered experimental or unusual at the time. Rock-n-roll itself was decried as noise by many during its formative years.

Progressive music is about using different sounds, structures or harmonic situations, and sometimes this requires the use of elements that are conventionally considered noise. Admittedly, much of what I would consider to be "noise music" (e.g. Einsturzende Neubauten) I don't regard as "prog rock," due to the absence of the "rock" element or mood (yet another vague definition here...). Of course, this is just MHO.

As for jazz, I do think of fusion-y groups as being in the prog genre. This is because the reason it was named fusion to begin with was that it was a fusion of rock and jazz. Artists such as Brand X, Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, etc. are examples of such, but not necessarily the entire catalog thereof qualifies (Miles is a good example of this since some of his music I think of as more straight, if unusual, jazz).

Again, just my opinion. AM has eschewed some material that I would consider prog rock, but I'm not going to go away just because of that. For the most part, I enjoy the variety of music available on this station, and I commend the administrators of this site for this.

As an aside, I would like to say that there are some artists that I find I don't enjoy (I wont mention them by name because I realize that there are some rabid fans of these groups here and I don't want to start some sort of flame war...), but it's primarily because I find the music to be a little too derivative of other more talented artists, but I listen anyway. Who knows? Perhaps I will grow to like them after all...

Thank you for the music, all, and don't let the bastards get you down!

Borfus Wallaby

www.myspace.com/borfuswallabymusic
www.everydayprophets.com

Last edited by Borfus : 08-07-2008 at 07:47 PM.