View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Patron

Re: Your 10 CDs of the Millennium?

I'll be the first to stick my neck out. I will limit it to progressive rock, one cd per artist and only studio albums.

1. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (tomorrow it could be In Absentia, next maybe FoaBP)
2. Steven Wilson - The Raven Who Refused to Sing (people on this station hate this album, but it resonates with me emotionally. It didn't hurt that the live show in support of this album was freakin' awesome)
3. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (some people on this station do not think progressive metal is part of progressive rock. Well I do!)
4. Tool - Lateralus (See #3)
5. Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Stati Di Immaginazione (Seeing this played live at NEARfest only cemented it's place in the top 5)
6. Mar de Robles - Indigena (This Chilean band is my top Jazz/Fusion album)
7. Taal - Skymind (Great eclectic mix! Haven't heard from this band in a while)
8. Magic Pie - Circus of Life (Could replace it with the debut. I love the virtuosic playing and melodic songs)
9. Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon (Can this General Hospital director craft a good tune or what?)
10. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife (Probably borderline prog, but I'm including it)

I maintain an Excel database of my cd collection to bring order to chaos. As part of this, I rate each one of my cds (about 9,000). I have rated 304 2000-2014 cds that I classify as Progressive rock at 9 or 10. This is my top 10 tonight, will probably be different on another night.

Karl