View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Owner/Program Director

History of Aural Moon (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
FWIW, here's how I found AM.

As an aside, an article on the history of how AM came to be would be interesting to me.
Davin would have to write that as he started it. I joined the team fairly early on (the "team" was Davin and myself), and can say a few words on that. In late 2000, I was listening to Aural Moon, and Davin posted an ad to the website looking for a program director. I volunteered, and we began our virtual collaboration. (I have an e-mail I sent to Davin in January of 2001 saying 17 listeners was the most I'd seen yet...) It was in June of 2001 when we met in person for the first time, at Nearfest.

I took over financial responsibility for Aural Moon in the middle of 2004. By then, Roger was already on board helping out with a lot of the technical stuff. Vaxman was definitely listening by then, and started hosting the web server in 2006 if I recall correctly. He'd already been helping out quite a bit before then.

Aural Moon is a money losing proposition. We are not really trying to make it pay for itself, which gives us a lot more freedom than XM/Sirius will ever have. The numbers involved pencil out nicely for us, but never will for satellite radio. I'm not worried. Like Vax, I used to listen to XM's Music Lab when chance (usually work travel) brought me into contact with a car equipped with it. I've never paid for it...