View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Owner/Program Director

Re: BajaProg 2013 - Day 4 and closing

Crisalida - I hesitate to offend my good friend mario, but this Chilean band was the weakest of the fest to my ears. Hard rock with a few prog touches - never was able to grab my attention. The female singer was talented, but sang in a style that I don't like. They did come across as a professional, enthusiastic band, but just never grabbed me.

Jelonek - another highlight, in maybe a weird way. their music leans towards heavy, but their leader is a top notch violin player - probably could play in a classical symphony, he was really good. He was also quite drunk on stage, and his vocal banter bordered on inappropriate. I'm sure it was a combination of someone who speaks Polish natively, speaking English to a largely Spanish speaking audience, but several comments came across as condescendingly racist. The local crowd seemed to love it, so I'm likely wrong, but my brother (who is married to a Mexican woman) and I both looked at each other several times in surprise. But the show was great!

Mystery - I am burning out on writing. Very good show, good music and performance. Benoit David is a good singer, but his stage presence is that of a goofball. Loved the show, just trying to make the observations personal.

Eddie Jobson - the most gracious I've ever seen Eddie - he must just hate americans because he was pretty nice to the crowd. he said it was his first time in Mexico. the band was top notch, performance great, etc. I have to say it was the least he's annoyed me with his ego. Shortest drum solo from Virgil Donati I've ever seen - I'm sure Eddie put a length limitation on it.

Biggest drinking day of the trip. My brother and I found a couple of local bars outside of the range of the typical attendee, and became regulars at one of them. I usually don't drink tequila, but did this day. It was nice, because the bartenders started waving hello at us when we returned. I know enough spanish to confirm that we were the only anglos that visited the bar that weekend