View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Re: Mooniverse - Show #61 - YesSpaz

Hey, all. Spaz here, with my take on the album I chose. Three Friends is easily my favorite Gentle Giant album. There are all kinds of cool things to listen for, as the following stuff quoted from Gentle Giant's homepage points out.

Gentle Giant's third album was their first concept album, as stated in the liner notes:
"The idea of this album came about simply from normal conversations within the group. You know how people often reminisce about old school friends and wonder whatever became of them; or the people who surprise us with their successes or failures. Anyway, the theme in this album is based on three people - friends at school but inevitably separated by chance, skill and fate."
The three school friends grow up to become a road digger (Working All Day), an artist (Peel The Paint), and a white-collar worker (Mister Class and Quality?) who can no longer understand each other's lifestyles. But regardless of the storyline, the music is astounding, ranging from raucous rock to exquisite choral work, and ending with the stunningly beautiful title song.

FROM THE GENTLE GIANT OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

*This album features four Shulmans: Derek, Phil, Ray... and young Calvin (Ray's son) singing the schoolboy vocals on Schooldays. (Thanks to Daniel Lluch.)

* In "Schooldays," just after the vocal part with the lines "Schooldays together, why do they change," there is there is part (guitar and vibes in unison) that plays the theme from a kids' song, "Cry Baby Bunting." (Thanks to Michael Beauvois and Paul Christenson.) Richard McCready offers a different opinion that the theme is from "Ring Around the Rosie."

*The little repeated riff in the introduction of "Working All Day" reappears in the main riff in the background, and also at the end of the song (though harmonized a little differently). (Thanks to KoKl Cormier.)

*In the first (quiet) part of "Peel The Paint," listen to the organ part played after Phil sings "color the brush." It is the basis for the hard-rocking vocal melody in the second part of the song ("Peel the paint, look underneath..."). (Thanks to Michael Beauvois.)

*Phil Shulman's first sung note in "Peel The Paint" is noticeably sharp... oops. (Thanks to Ian McGrath.)

*The slow, majestic bass part for "Three Friends" is played faster and more quietly at the beginning of "Mister Class And Quality?". (Thanks to Michael Beauvois.)"

Last edited by Yesspaz : 12-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.