View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Re: the GENESIS story...

Dr. Dot does his best to get caught up, and enters the fray late in the game, much like the US during WWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_2068
Well, 90125 and Big Generator are pretty horrendous also.
And you're giving Union a pass? Or is it that it's just so bad that it doesn't deserve to be considered 'Yes'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
Right about Rutherford. that's what I've been saying for years about Genesis. This isn't a Collins thing. Let's not forget he was in Brand X from 1976-1980. Banks and Rutherford are as much to "blame".
It's a funny thing about Genesis and their internal dynamics. Everyone is quick to point out how Banks and Rutherford had such influence, but look how drastically the band changed after the various departures: Hackett and Gabriel made a huge impact as is evidenced by how drastically the sound and band dynamics changed after their departures. They went from definitive prog to kinda prog in the early post-Gabriel/Hackett era and slid rapidly down to excessively pop right before Phil said goodbye. The final album was, to put it mildly, not worth the time to download, let alone worth the money to buy.

I've seen post Gabriel Genesis, and I've seen Phil on his own(*). I'll see Phil before I see Genesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxman, earlier
That song (Sledgehammer) was deplorably trite.
It goes well beyond deplorably trite. It poisoned me on Peter Gabriel for years, truthfully until I first logged in here, found "Blood of Eden" and thought "Hrm. Maybe Peter Gabriel isn't the pond scum that I thought he was, and maybe Biko wasn't a fluke afterall..."

But Jim's right: Stylistically, Peter Gabriel is all over the map. It seems he can't settle on one sound and stick with it and develop it past a single album.

But about Phil Collins: I was extremely fortunate enough to stumble upon a quick gig that allowed me to see him live with a '40s era big band. He had a full set and was in high form that night. I was helping a friend lay cables and the like and got to watch back stage. I found a nice perch up on the lighting fixtures (this was while I was still healthy enough to do such niceties as climb ladders and the like), just off stage and at about a 120 degree angle off his right shoulder. Best seat in the house, hands down. I can take or leave him as a singer, but anyone -- ANYONE -- would be hard pressed to top him on a full set. It made the climb well worth it, as well as the hassles of having to climb up on the light fixtures.

(*) I was with a drop dead gorgeous brunette (didn't work out, much to my chagrin) who was a big Phil fan. So yes, I had ulterior motives.
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!