View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Re: Aural Moon unlistenable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris View Post
Thanks Shuppy, add Tarentel, Sun Ra, and Magma and this is a great List of Noise I would remove from the Moons playlist... Thank again
Well, we'll never define prog, but would someone define "Noise" for me? It seems like the running definition being used by some people here is "things I don't like." The term "noisy" may be more appropriate when discussing Sun Ra or Magma, but not "noise." (Without referring to a dictionary) Noise is non-repetitive, non-melodic, non-sensical, non-harmonic. In other words, there's no overlying or underlying meaning behind the arrangement of the sounds heard. This cannot be said of ANY of the artists listed.

There are quite a few artists out there who've purposefully written pretty music and then put noise on top of it. There are bands who's chosen chords and harmony are extremely dissonant. There are artists who's improvisational nature means at times the piece is barely holding together. None of this constitutes noise. If so, then while removing fusion Miles, we should remove the much more cacophonic improvs from 70s King Crimson. They're much more "challenging" and "noisy." at times.

Define noise. Something you don't like, or something that actually is not music?

Last edited by Yesspaz : 08-15-2008 at 04:51 PM.