View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Take action! against recent copyright ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Here is the response I got back from one of my Senators:

From: "SenateWebmail@cornyn.senate.gov" <SenateWebmail@cornyn.senate.gov>
To: tacneil@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:04:51 PM
Subject: Thank You For Contacting My Office

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Neil:

Thank you for contacting me about the important issue of music performance rights. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

As you are aware, rapid advances in communications technology have led to the development of digital television and radio, as well as subscription satellite television and radio services. These new capabilities expand the range of choices available to consumers; subscription satellite radio is one of the most successful examples of quickly advancing technology. I welcome such consumer-driven innovation and enjoy a personal satellite radio subscription.

As expected, technological innovation also brings with it the threat of copyright infringement. While recent technology advances represent important achievements, we must, on principle, protect the intellectual property rights of those responsible for such innovation. You may be certain that I will continue working with my Senate colleagues to strike a balance between copyright protection and technological advance and that I will keep your concerns in mind should the Senate consider relevant legislation during the 110th Congress.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

OK... this needs translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CORNYN
Thank you for contacting me about the important issue of music performance rights.
Oh shit! Another US citizen writing me about something that counters what the RIAA's deep pocket, money driven lobbyists want me to do and to whom I am far more loyal to than any citizen.

Quote:
I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.
OK, I've responded with my crocodile tears hypocrisy. Oh intern! Please come here as I have something for you to file in the circular file.

Quote:
As you are aware, rapid advances in communications technology have led to the development of digital television and radio, as well as subscription satellite television and radio services.
Corporations like XM Satellite radio and Sirius Satellite Radio have crawled into bed with the government to force feed you, and for a fee too, the same pablum shit you were getting before from free over-the-airwave commercial radio.

Quote:
These new capabilities expand the range of choices available to consumers; subscription satellite radio is one of the most successful examples of quickly advancing technology.
These new capabilities expand the profits extractable from the citizenry; satellite radio is the best example of this because it lured people into a false sense of belief that it was different from over-the-airwaves commercial radio shit. Same old shit but now you get to pay for it!

Quote:
I welcome such consumer-driven innovation and enjoy a personal satellite radio subscription.
We will decide what you will hear, and see, and make absolutely certain that you pay for it too! Look, it must be good for you as I am doing it too. Come on, you're just another stupid common citizen! Surely you will fall for the lame bandwagoneering argument I've just imparted.

Quote:
As expected, technological innovation also brings with it the threat of copyright infringement.
As expected, technological innovation also brings with it the threat of freedom of speech and the free expression of ideas. Holy shit! This is america, we can't have the citizens actually having any real freedom.

Quote:
While recent technology advances represent important achievements, we must, on principle, protect the intellectual property rights of those responsible for such innovation.
While recent technology advances represent important achievements, we must, on principle, censor any free ideas and thoughts, and restrict the rights of those using such innovation as the internet.

Quote:
You may be certain that I will continue working with my Senate colleagues to strike a balance between copyright protection and technological advance
You may be certain that I will continue working with my Senate colleagues to strike down any freedom technological advances provide using the strong arm of copyright protection to bolster the profits of corporate america.

Quote:
and that I will keep your concerns in mind should the Senate consider relevant legislation during the 110th Congress.
...and I don't give a rats arse about your concerns. I am too busy trying to legislate more ways to fuck the american public.

Quote:
I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
Now go crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out of and leave me alone to the special interests and lobbyists.

Quote:
Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
Bugger off! Long live the RIAA!

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 03-31-2007 at 07:27 AM.