View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rawdon
I've been reluctant to buy Morse's post-Spock's Beard stuff due to what I understand is substantial Christian content. (A girlfriend once described me as "the least spiritual person she knew".) How are they?
It's odd how "substantial Christian content" is more objectionable to some people than "substantial Satanic content" in rock music. Anyhow, I do have Neal's post-Beard output and I think it's very powerful stuff. Yes, the lyrics are quite Christian-oriented, but that doesn't bother me at all (being a Christian and youth pastor myself).

Musically speaking...

Testimony is a double-disc concept album with multiple musical themes weaving in and out through the different songs, which are divided into five parts making one BIG sound. In addition to the "traditional rock band" lineup (mostly played by Neal) there is an orchestra in a number of places and a choir in a few. If you like your prog to be heavy and technical, this one is not for you. It's a bit lighter in sound and feel than the Spock's Beard albums.

One is a single disc follow-up that has more of a Transatlantic-feel than Testimony. Neal lets go of the reigns a bit and collaborates with Randy George and Mike Portnoy (and some guest musicians) and the compositions are more varied as a result. Musically, I like it better than Testimony. It's meatier and the epics are not as forced.

? is amazing. It's really one long song divided into 12 parts. More guest musicians are on this one and the core group (Morse, Portnoy & George) put out a full, energetic performance that is at times sweet and melodic and other full out rocking. Very tasty indeed!

Lead Me Lord is what it is... basically a "live in the studio" worship session. It might have been great in the moment, but the translation to CD is a bit dull. Not prog at all.

God Won't Give Up sounds like a prog band playing praise and worship tunes. The music is energetic and inventive, but it's not really prog. I like it a lot though.

I hope that answers your question... IMHO of course.