Re: Porcupine Tree Reunion

Name:  steven-wilson-banner.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  1.10 MB

Composer, guitarist / keyboardist and more, singer, sound engineer,
producer and talent-scout . Today he is 54 years old, always an
excellent point of reference for those who love good music
The interview he gave was 7 years ago on the occasion of an Italian
Tour date to promote Hand. Cannot. Erase.
and it is therefore devoid of softer judgments given the Reunion towards the components of Porcupine Tree ... surely 7 years ago the fact of getting back together was not in Steven's mind and therefore it is easier to understand why that experience was interrupted.
As I said earlier, the interview is very long and there is a great desire to explain everything

After remembering that he is always very attached to Italy that gave him the first awards on his first compositions, he goes on to challenge the definition that his music can be caged in the definition of Progressive ... for him it is much more, it is electronic , ambient, classic style, jazz references, more elaborate tracks, pop in short, a character who does not like labels and who does not set any limits.
He also claims that he likes to compose songs that could be heard on the radio and this part of his compositions comes from the fact that he grew up listening to so much music loved by his parents Abba, Carpenters, Bee Gees that Steven equates with the influences received from the most famous bands of the 70's and 80's… so he admits that all these different styles are found in his compositions

and therefore I understand that even if for me someone like him should never compose pop music in the face of so much determination there will be little to say ... surely I will continue to appreciate his best part for my tastes .... I leave pop compositions to those who love this genre and I recommend to these people the latest album "THE FUTURE BITES" which I wouldn't even want to have as a gift.
Composing songs for me is the most difficult part ... says Steven ... often starts with a guitar chord or a text that inspires him in the composition ... but now the part begins where you understand much more about his personality and how he can also evolve the recent Porcupine Tree Reunion

Steven feels a great desire to express himself not as a simple artist of a group but has always wanted to think and implement an infinite number of projects that would lead him to collaborate with so many people who have increased his knowledge in short, his goal has always been to aiming at models like Frank Zappa, director Stanley Kubrick, David Bowie or Kate Bush characters who were able to change direction by changing the interpreters and always remaining at a high level and here the Porcupine Tree came in and for the first 3 albums he he considered not as a group but as mere performers of his compositions

then, they became a group, but as we went on there was still a strong desire to be freer to achieve what he dreamed of being the leader of a band but often changing the members according to the style to be composed which is what he did from the dissolution of the Porcupine Tree, in short, to be able to free his creativity without any conditioning from others.
And the concept of the cage reaffirms this when he talks about the Porcupine Tree in the sense that even if he was in fact the most important of the group he had to take into account the opinion of others

Steven wrote all the songs, produced, did the interviews but the problem was that he had to write music that was appreciated by everyone and followed the style that was approved by everyone but this led to writing songs with a cross between progressive and metal and therefore his creativity was stifled and the fact that he wanted to insert elements with references to jazz, electronic music or pop was immediately blocked and due to these discussions about the fact that the style of porcupine could not change…. Steven has decided to terminate the relationship and even today he cannot believe that his relationship has lasted so long for 15 years.

These were the things that Steven said 7 years ago ... .. today he announces together with the other 2 of the 3 members of the group the new experience with Porcupine Tree and he does it starting from tracks written for their latest album never released that have been adapted for the new album coming out next year…. But in light of the declarations of 7 years ago ... what happened .... Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison have agreed to change the PT style and certainly have accepted that the reconstitution of the group will not interfere with Steven's thousand activities, certainly many things have been clarified ... Colin Edwin is the only one who will not fit into the group and perhaps because he was one of the most critical of Steven or perhaps because he is now taken up by his new collaborations .... but as I said earlier, he himself will clarify why he preferred not to return.

The most important thing is that we will surely
have some great new music thanks to
Steven Wilson,Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison

Last edited by nicola : 03-19-2022 at 03:54 PM.