View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 07:23 AM
KeithieW

Tortured mind brings me to.......

Nick Drake - Pink Moon.

On his third and final album, Nick Drake sits alone with his guitar, creating music of such haunting purity and beauty it moves me to tears EVERY time I hear it.

Brilliant beyond compare, Pink Moon softly smolders with emotional power. It captures an infinitely talented artist in his most supremely honest moment, stripped of all pretense and orchestration. His songs of loneliness and isolation never sound self-indulgent, but rather innocent and sincere, as he delivers such lines as "Know that I love you/Know I don't care/Know that I see you/You know I'm not there." His guitar swirls and chimes in fluid rhythms, building an undercurrent of intensity that perfectly complements his sonorous vocals. This album represents one of the most perfectly realized recordings in the formidable singer/songwriter tradition, and thus explains why the magnitude of Nick Drake's music has finally begun to register, so long after his tragic death at so young an age.

I've suggested that this album be on the Moon's playlist before but I can understand Jim's reluctance to load it. It's certainly not prog but I would NEVER classify it as a "Guilty pleasure". I feel very lucky, even honoured, to have discovered Nick and will love him and his music for ever more.

Tracks:
1. PINK MOON 2:00
2. PLACE TO BE 2:39
3. RADIO 1:58
4. WHICH WILL 2:56
5. HORN 1:19
6. THINGS BEHIND THE SUN 3:23
7. KNOW 2:23
8. PARASITE 3:30
9. RIDE 2:57
10. HARVEST BREED 1:00
11. FROM THE MORNING 2:25

Not the longest album in the world but as a single work of art probably the most beautiful.

The final song, From the morning, has a lyric that moved me the second I heard it and still does to this day.

A day once dawned, and it was beautiful
A day once dawned from the ground
Then the night she fell
And the air was beautiful
The night she fell all around.

So look see the days
The endless coloured ways
And go play the game that you learnt
From the morning.

And now we rise
And we are everywhere
And now we rise from the ground
And see she flies
And she is everywhere
See she flies all around

So look see the sights
The endless summer nights
And go play the game that you learnt
From the morning.

Read 'em and weep everyone. Better still go to Amazon and buy this album. I think you will see what I mean.