Thread: Feature Request
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Playlists and Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
I know that telling what tracks are in the queue is against "da rulez", but perhaps ordering the upcoming artists in play sequence is allowed rather than the current alphabetical view.
OK. Let me explain a few things about requesting.

1. The user can only request once per hours. This is enforced by IP address and a lookup in the database. This is one of the few nearly sure bets when it comes to request. Of course, we all know that the IP issue can be circumvented. I will, in time, get to having this be based on username now that it is incorporated into the database. Out of the mayhem that was that abusive over-requester has come some good things.

2. Once you have made a request, the only sure thing is that you won't hear it within the hour of your requesting it.

Let me explain with an example. When it comes to requests, you can think of it as 2 queues. One I will call the Request Queue and the other is the Pending Queue. There is also a History Queue this the top entry being the item currently playing.

History Queue
ELP - Lucky Man
Gentle Giant - Alucard

Pending Queue
Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise
GYBE - who cares
Pink Floyd - Julia Dream

Request Queue
Yes - Close To The Edge
Pink FLoyd - Pow R. Toc H.
Genesis - Firth of Fifth
ELP - Karn Evil #9
King Crimson - Epitaph

Assume that no Genesis, Yes or Pink FLoyd has played recently.

Here is what will happen. SAM has taken the three tracks from the Request Queue (Yes, GYBE, and Pink Floyd) or has selected a track from the library. Since none of these has played in recent history, other users can request Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis. They cannot request any more ELP because it is NOW in the History Queue. Requests for an ELP will return "artist has recently played".
Since Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis are in the Pending Queue, SAM will not promote the requested Yes, Genesis, or Pink Floyd tracks anytime soon. What track will be next? Assuming that King Crimson has not played in recent history, SAM will likely put Epitaph in the Pending Request queue once the hour wait time has been exhausted.

So, what you are asking for is impossible. When you look on the Web Site and see the coming up list, what you see is the top 2 entries of the Pending Queue. The only thing that is a sure bet is the Pending QUeue but we are restricted in showing that.

The requests page collates artists in the request queue alphabetically. I could ORDER that queue by requested time but, if you understand the simple scenario outlined above, you will see that that too has no real relevance on what will play and in what order.

FYI, I will make this a FAQ item too.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.