View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: NEARfest get-together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Hey gang,

I'll be getting in late Friday afternoon - probably before the preshow. I'm staying at the red roof in, so if anyone knows of any Bethlehem reservations that someone isn't using, let me know. Anyway, I have a ticket to Fri night, but not sure if I can be there, because I have to set up for the Friday night Aural Moon Gagliarchives broadcast as soon as I roll into town. If all goes well, the setup will be a breeze, and I'll be able to catch some Fast Fish.

Really looking forward to having some fun this time around. Wow - what a wild, strange year it's been since the last NF!

See everyone on Friday!

A
Avian,

I have been working on that for the past few weeks since I first spoke with Kevin Feeley at a NJPH event about Aural Moon carrying this broadcast.

I've purchased a 24bit PCM/USB encoder and a laptop (2.4MHz Compaq Evo). It is running the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (8.04). I've installed Shoutcast (SC) and IDJC (Internet DJ Console) on the laptop.

I have installed Cygwin on the station for scripting needs and the OpenSSH server for secure access and port tunneling.

I've created a playlist item for the Live broadcast in SAM and it is located in the "live resources".

The Laptop and PCM encoder can stay and run around the clock AFAIAC. I have a lock for the laptop so that it doesn't walk. The connection to the station, since Cygwin and OpenSSH have been installed, can now be handled with ssh and ssh tunneling (malice of foresight to avoid any problems with hotel internet firewalls).

From the laptop, an ssh connection is made to the station:

Code:
$ ssh -p{ssh_port} -R{SC_port}:localhost:{SC_port} administrator@station.domain.com password: {yeah, right, like you think I'd put that here?}
I've intentionally elided the port number details and station domain so that information isn't listed when this page is indexed by Google.

The playlist item is located in the "live resources" on the station (SAM). If you look, it is listed as: http://localhost:{SC_port}

Once Tom's board is plugged into the PCM encoder and the connection is made to SAM, it's ready to go. The live resource I've created only needs to be queued at the appropriate time. In fact, if I knew the actual times, it could be queued up and dequeued automagically by SAM. I would think that queueing it up would be sage and dequeue it manually in case the
show runs long

I've run several tests of the above as other moonies can attest. It's working swimmingly. 44.1KHz(Nq)@192Kbps MP3 too.

Like I said, the only missing piece of the puzzle are the air times for Friday and Saturday (and Sunday?).

_________

FWIW, I would stream the Saturday Gagliarchives this way but I'd need to invest in the antenna I've described here in the past. However, since the retransmission of Gagliarchives is iffy, I haven't gone that route ... yet.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.