Thread: King's X
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 AM

The other side of the coin

I esp like the shout out to a Baltimore venue, and Jim, notice a San Diego venue mentioned...

Rick (this is from the Salem Hill groups).....

In the wake of the recent post by Doug Pinnick of Kings X I found this posted to the Wishbone Ash website regarding their recently completed North American tour. Since Ash appears to be at a similar level to Kings X when it comes to touring (I don't know about record sales), and they are a band that had their high water mark many years ago, I thought it might be interesting comparing the two posts. Here it from Andy Powell:

Ah…America; where the going gets tough and the tough run scared. 10.000 accumulated road miles in three and a half weeks, this time. It’s been great reading your comments on the Concert Story section in our fan forums. Some people really do get the picture and others miss the point completely, but all your opinions are greatly valued. By the way I never told that guy at Shank Hall in Milwaukee, that I hope “the batteries on his video cam f..king burn out”. Just do me a favor and keep the searchlight out of my eyes for at least one song, please. Amazing, some of the things attributed to me or that I am supposed to have said. Ah… the price of fame …

This was a great tour! The logistics worked out and the band played really well. Nice, to have the new CD, Clan Destiny to promote. Yes, there were a couple of ‘iffy’ gigs on the West Coast where we didn’t get the promotion required to pull things off, but the weather was fabulous and the company and fan support were excellent. Even got in some beach time in San Diego and Ray, your new Laguna Beach pad is amazing. Oh yes, and the scenery, especially out West, was a delight; Utah, California, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming… what a country! It never ceases to amaze.

I do honestly understand the frustrations of some of you regarding the band’s struggle for greater popularity, a hankering for the glory days of bigger venues, more promotion and so on. It’s actually all about taking it to the streets. (Or if you like; your birthday party, local bar and once in a while, a community festival site). Just ask Kings X, Little Feat, Savoy Brown, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout and all the countless other ‘road dogs’ out there braving the mountains and desert highways to bring you their truly excellent and under-valued music and, I might add, playing the very same venues as we are.

Talking of promotion though, I must relate a funny story: my son, Lawrence, an art student, went into a Karaoke bar in Boston MA recently and guess what was on the play list? Of all songs, it was Everybody Needs A Friend. Cracked both of us up, I can tell you – reality bites, does it not?

One of the reasons that bar bands are generally such good players in this country is that, like any thing else over here, the work ethic sharpens you up pretty quickly. There’s nothing casual about turning up and playing a few licks for the crowd. The only way it can work is with real teamwork and a kind of sleep deprived, military precision and a knack for thinking outside the box. The players in Wishbone Ash do it all – kinda like smoke and mirrors – this knack for turning up on stage with a smile and being able to party with the best of ‘em post show, while having a genuine interest and enjoyment in and for, the friends and fans who ‘glad hand’ us on the way to the next gig. It all takes energy and effort but of course, if you buy into it (which not every musician can), it brings personal rewards aplenty.

Take Grand Rapids for example; 4 hours sleep, a 10 hour drive through constant rain, no hotel time, throw the gear up on stage, quick sound check, stand in line for an hour at a restaurant full of college graduates only to be told; “no table,” 2 sets with cold pizza in the dressing room (club owners office), hit the sack and do it all again the next day! Kinda humbling, but good for the soul. When you see us on stages in the UK or France for example, you are getting the net result of all this USA experience. We really mean it and it shows in the music, because we are really putting our lives on the line to do this – no weekend warrior stuff here. It’s the real deal. Net result - this is what being in a band is all about. Always has been and always will be. I always think back to a book I purchased in the 1960’s by the Hollies when I had just become a teenager. It’s title; ‘How To Form A Beat Group.’ Loved that one. Nothing has changed. Even though the numbers are small on this tour, we will get to play larger venues in September, as a result of all this graft. Personally, I love it. But then, I’m a masochist. Just ask the band. And, by the way, take note of the distances some of our fans travel as well – heroic!

Many UK bands, these days, would absolutely love the opportunity to tour here, even on this level. It’s the same for the US bands and German bands that would kill to be on the U.K tour circuit. The difference with the Ash is that we ARE everywhere. We get asked constantly how we manage things, but (and now it’s time to blow our own horn for a change) find me another band that does this and pulls it off. We are even playing a festival in Bulgaria this summer! Of course these opportunities (and I do see things this way) are very definitely the result of decades spent keeping the band’s profile out there in the world’s music venues and maintaining the band’s CD catalogue in the racks of the world’s record stores. (Has anyone checked out I Tunes lately?) I’d say most of the musicians and fans of Wishbone Ash are grateful for this. The alternative would be relegation to some obscure outpost in one’s distant memory like countless others of our old contemporaries like Quicksilver Messenger Service, Quintessence, Budgie or perhaps Soft Machine (no disrespect intended).

As far as promotion goes, yes, it could be better but I don’t lose any sleep over it these days – we are just keeping the store open for business. The band is good because it plays its ass off.

As a result Wishbone’s musicians have been playing on a different level on this tour – some amazing stuff forthcoming from everybody. Tour highlights: Vegas, ‘cos it’s Vegas, The Recher Theater near Baltimore (the way a venue should be run), The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano CA, even though we did finally make it there 5 hours late when the brakes failed on the vehicle, as we were coming down from the High Desert. Thank God for Midas – we were metal to metal as we rolled off the exit ramp and there was George Foreman’s smiling face! Three days later, we found we’d been driving in the Cascade Mountains with a three inch nail in the rear tire – fun and games.

Amazing to see the Brits, Ian (ever tried Anchor Steam Amber Ale?) Dave et al, all over the shop on this tour and thanks to Music Millennium of Portland Oregon, for a cool in-store presentation. This has to be one of the best ‘old school’ record stores in the country. Mary, thanks for the cookies once again, Steve and Claudia and the Tsilis clan, Fred Renz, Linda Kozlowski – those truffles mmm...,Scott Pikard, Dennis and Mary Marturano and crew. Denis LePlant – thanks for your hospitality at the Desert Ranch. Mike Allen, thanks for the specs and Steve and Ramona – always a pleasure. Ruariah, the pipes, the pipes are calling! John Winder; you did us proud. Dr. John; that was an amazing find. How do you do that? Pat Hennessy, who joined us for a three guitar line-up at the Coach House, during Blind Eye. Buzz, Buck and ? I’ll get it right next tour. Anyone who saw the headstock break off my Flying V on stage in Vancouver when it got knocked over – no worries. Chilcott Man will fix her (won’t you Kev?) I have faith.

Later ~ A.P