View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
KeithieW

Question What is prog?

The dictionary defines "progressive" as, amongst other things, "FAVOURING NEW IDEAS".

With Time signatures other than the usual 4/4, with track lengths other than 3-4 minutes and subjects other than Boy meets Girl, Musicians who write and perform pieces that encompass these and other new ideas could all be termed "Progressive". One of the earliest Prog musicians, then, was Beethoven who, when his 3rd Symphony timed in at about 45 minutes stunned the world who were used to the 20-25 minute symphonies of Schubert and Haydn. When Stravinsky came up with "The Rite of Spring" with it's discords and weird and wonderful time signatures all overlaid upon each other to create a beautiful cacophany that, too, was Progressive. Likewise when Yes and Jethro Tull, Pink floyd and PFM, Genesis and, dare I say it? Celestial Navigations.......sorry Davin, come up with 'New Ideas' that is Progressive Rock.

Whatever definition we give it, Prog Rock is one of the most spell binding, awe inspiring and downright beautiful genres in music and I thank god that there are still musicians out there willing to experiment with New Ideas and take chances.

Long may they do so.

As Frasier Crane says, I'M LISTENING!!!

Last edited by KeithieW : 02-25-2003 at 10:39 AM.