View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 02:32 AM
KeithieW

Mmmmmmmm!

Quote.
And IMHO Modern Classical is probably the most original classical music in history.

I do know what you mean Ivan but don't you think that at the time that Beethoven, for example, was writing his Eroica symphony which timed in at 40 minutes plus when most symphonies were in the 20 minute area the same was said then?

But I do agree that music in the current "Classical" field CAN BE extremely good. I love Steve Reich's "Octet".......It actually reminds me of Tangerine Dream played on acoustic instruments. His "Different Trains" is a masterpiece. Really moving (no pun intended) and when I saw a documentary where Reich was explaining the circumstances of it's composition and what it meant to him it made it even more so.

However, the Composer who gets inside MY head the most is Philip Glass. I recently went to a performance of the film Koyannisqatsi where the PG ensemble were playing live to the film and it nearly blew me away. I'm sorry to use such a well worn cliche here but I can't describe it any other way. The way the music and film (there is no dialogue, just images) are united in an almost sexual bond is beautiful. I would say that it is my favourite film EVER.

What I don't like in the current "Classical" world is the, what seems to me like a, massive upserge in the popularity of Film Soundtrack music. Every time I tune into a classical music station all I ever seem to hear is "Lord of the Rings", "Harry Potter" ot "Star Wars" music. No-one ever seems to play music by other comtemporary composers like Turnage or Adams who are also worthy of a listen.

Right I'll put my soap box away now and go and request a bit of Philip glass on AM.......thanks guys.

And Jeff, welcome to the Old Mans Club. Life membership only but, my god, it's a fun place to be!!!!!!