View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Assorted non-sorted thoughts.

Ok, I've listened three times now, and I agree it gets better, but that's because with any music of substance it takes repeated listens to sink in.

The two highlights to me are the two most proggy, one from Doug called "Bebop" and one from Ty called "Freedom." "Bebop" really shows Doug's personality. I also wish Ty had left the original lyric of "Freedom" from when it was left off Dogman. Of course, it's not hard to figure out what he's saying - Jay Phebus - just say it.

I don't think "Mudd" is a dog at all. I really like it; if flows well after the end of "Sooner or Later." In fact I think that this is KX's mellowest album. There's really only 3 in your face types - the two mentioned above and "Alone." There are a lot of songs that, while heavy, are slow. I like the 5+ minute outro to "Sooner or Later." It reminds me of the ends of "Picture," "The Burning Down," and "Cigarettes." Once again the goofy final track is a throw-away like "Water Ceremony," but of much more substance.

I can hear the comparison to "Man in the Mirror" on "If" but I think it's a stretch.

"Honesty" is not all acoustic at all! Ty overdubs himself with at LEAST five guitar lines. Also, bass and drums come in way sooner than "20 seconds to the end." It's a very well done song.

Their Christian history is once again one of the more interesting dichotomies in the record. Doug has his typical "questioning faith" songs in "Get Away" and parts of "Bebop" while Ty's faith is sandwiched in with "Freedom" (even with the changed lyric) and "Honesty."

And of course, "Allison, that's just like a hurricane!" is great to sing along to when you have an ex named Allison.

What I'm most surprised about is that this is the first album by them that have no real "Metal" riff moments. No "Black the Sky" or "Wonder." No "Screamer" or "When You're Scared." It was relatively mellow. There were heavy moments, but not really any heavy songs, so to speak. The closest would be "Alone."

As per the reviews out there saying "best since Dogman," I don't know about that just yet, but it's better than both Black Like Sunday and Manic Moonlight, although there are songs on both of those better than some on this one. Time will tell...

Over all, I'm giving it a thumbs up, but I just don't think they'll ever make another Faith Hope Love, Dogman, or Tape Head. But the worst KX (Ear Candy) is so far above 99% of music it's almost not fair to compare it to its own high standard. Can't compare Magnification to Relayer, but compare it to most anything else on the radio and the radio becomes a joke.

Jerry, Doug, Ty!

Last edited by Yesspaz : 09-30-2005 at 04:45 PM.