View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 09:16 PM

Maybe this doesn't count because it was not ELP, only "L", but for what it's worth...

8. Greg Lake released a Christmas single that was based on Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije Suite. There were 2 versions, I think. A full-out choired and orchestrated version and one that was simpler. Both were pretty nice.

Don't know if anyone here has ever heard of The Free Design; wouldn't call them prog although they were so hard to classify they might as well be. No, they were pre-prog. Late-60s. They also did a song called Kije's Ouija whose chorus, or middle 8, or something, was taken from Lt. Kije. Free Design had 2 modes: Predictable and provocative. Always one or the other. Also produced impeccable quality recordings that were quickly decimated by my crystal cartridge with its massive tracking force and minimal compliance. Been a loooong time since I played a Free Design record.

And, LMG, a Lafayette amplifier! That's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about Lafayette. My first pair of component speakers were Lafayette. I was in maybe 7th grade at the time. I think I blew them out in about a week! With a Sears Silvertone tube amplifier I bought in a garage sale for $2. Probably playing a Free Design record.

I guess I must finally be a certified old man; all these trips down memory lane!