View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Re: My tortured mind asks.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I came to the conclusion that there a lot of CD's out that are seemingly not Moon material, yet are not correctly classified as "Guilty Pleasures" either.
Yeah, I've got a lot of stuff that I LOVE that is in no way a guilty pleasure. Neil Young, TwoThirtyEight, Grammatrain, Stavesacre, and The Benjamin Gate, just to name a few.

Quote:
It's a damn shame there's no outlet for music like this.
I agree. Grammatrain and TwoThirtyEight are in no way progressive, but at the same time, they are too good for radio! How can anyone hear these bands?!! It's a shame, that's what it is. I promise you, once BrainRock is Rollin', you'll get a chance to hear this stuff - occasionally -

Quote:
Of course one could argue that other great basic rock and roll CD's such as Wishbone Ash's "Argus" (which is on the Moon) falls into the same category. Popular bands like Yes have "90125" on the playlist which is no more complicated than this CD. Where to draw the line? An interesting question.
Yeah, I think it all comes down, in my opinion at least, to how wide your dfinition of Prog is. For instance, Rhino has a boxed set called Supernatural Fairy Tales which is a chronicle of the Prog era of the 70s. Guess what is on the fourth disc? Radar Love by Golden Earring. Huh? When I think of 90125, I think of "Changes" and "Our Song" and "Hearts" as progressive if there ever was a prog song. "Owner" and "City of Love" are more on the fence. When you get to 80s Yes and Genesis, it becomes a song by song sort of thing.

Quote:
I get out of the car, decompress for a minute, then as the family greets (ignores) me, not knowing what I did during my ride home, I realize - too bad these moments are so fleeting.
Preach it Rick. Man, I love those moments where you listen to an old cd and it hits you like it's the first time. Or those moments when you hear a new band and it's like, "Wow, this is what music is supposed to be." I guess my friend Joel put it best. He's always been a pop-rock kind of guy. Bands like Switchfoot (killer), MxPx, Jimmy Eat World, Plankeye, etc. Then one day he told me he was hooked on "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys. He described it like this:

"When I heard this, it was like I've never listened to music before."