View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Faffer-In-Denial

Re: Birthday Party for Aural Moon......official invitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmckinley View Post
I'm sure I can come up with an hour's worth o'tunes and I have the ability to record stuff, be it intros or whatever, but I guess my question is what format and does the Moon need multiple files or one big long file or whatever?
Firstly, for anyone who's making a program, Thanks! All of us associated with the station know how much time & effort it takes.

OK, The technical/production side;

I realize that's there's a whole range of technical ability out there ; so please don't think I'm trying to teach my Grandmother to Suck Eggs...

Vax, Jim and/or Dr. Dot might wish to add to this...

a/ your top priority should be to get the playlist the Keithie -- common track requests will be "first come, first served" exactly like SAM. probably best not to spend ages perfecting a show, only to find that someone else has already baggsied all the tracks...

b/ Please indicate time range(s) that you'd like the program aired -- after 05:00 EDT on the 26th and preferably before 05:00 EDT on the 27th Please be flexible, we can't all be on at once!

c/ If you are making a program complete with announcements that you record yourself:

The format for the recordings is 192kb/s Stereo MP3, with V3.2 ID tags.

Whether you choose to make separate tracks or a monolithic file depends probably on how your material is sourced and what you want to do. We can accept either.

(i) If most of the material you want to play is already on the moon - then it's probably easiest for you to record just your announcements and rip any additional tracks you need.

(ii) If most of the material you intend to play is not on the moon - or you want to do fancy cross-fades or something like that - then a monolithic track is probably going to be easiest.

d/ Ripping/Processing tracks.

If you're processing tracks ; normalizing levels is fine - but probably better to leave off any compression - since the station software might wish to apply that itself.

What you do with your voice is up to you - but my 0.02euros says "Mega-FM compression doesn't sound good on Internet Streaming" (but that's an opinion not a technical fact)

If you're ripping your favorite "never-been-committed-to-CD" vinyl -- then the mastering job is your own (of course).

e/ when people start to get stuff ready - we'll sort out upload destinations.

f/ For people who are NOT recording voice but submitting a playlist and a dedications script for your trusty DJs to read out.

Any tracks not on the moon -- you will probably still have to rip (rulez as above). You could check with Keithie or me if we already have them ... but the moon's collection is waaaaay larger than mine

g/ For people who are just going to record a "Happy Birthday Aural Moon" message ;

I can deal with pretty much any audio format as input - but please make sure your voice is nice and loud, that you say who you are - and try and keep away from the computer's fans while you're recording!!!

any more questions - I'll add to this or you can PM me directly.

Last edited by JamForte : 06-16-2009 at 08:09 AM.