Thread: I love it...
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 03:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Thumbs up A new category...

Perhaps we prog fans simply need a new category to destinguish those bands/songs/albums that skate on the edge of the prog lake, without the courage or conviction to head straight for the thin ice out in the middle and risk falling into the cold depths of mediocrity, obscurity, or--heaven forbid--unmarketability.

My suggestion is to refer to such works like later Genesis (and Yes), Supertramp, Asia, Queen, BOC, etc. as Prog Lite.

Prog Lite - (prŏg' līt'). adj. : 1. an example of music from a progressive artist that does not measure up to their standard progressive offerings. " 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' is Prog Lite." 2. an example of progressive music from an artist that is not usually progressive. "Supertramp's 'Fool's Overture' is remarkably Prog Lite." 3. sl. a possibly derogatory term that refers to someone of something that does not perform to usual standards. "Your mamma's cooking was really Prog Lite this evening." "My girlfriend was really Prog Lite last night in bed."

Maybe this can provide the focal point we need to continue this endless debate.

With that said, the mention of Rainbow earlier inspired me to make a possibly heinous request. I personally feel that 2 Rainbow songs, "Stargazer" and "A Light In The Black," might fit well here at AM. They both have some killer keyboard parts (and Dio used to be an opera singer!).

So here's to Prog Lite: tastes great AND less filling!