View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Jeopardy, Watson the A.I., and Maserati

You are absolutely correct. I mis-remembered it. Saw that when I watched Wednesday's conclusion.
Stupid brain cells, who needs them anyway.

Oh, yeah. I do.

One thing I do like about this is that answering questions isn't so cut and dry. I guess we're only as good as the information that's being fed to us. Hey, that would explain a lot in this world, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieval View Post
Neither the category nor the clue mentioned America. The category was US Cities. I just found this:
David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a viewing of the show on Monday morning that several of things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase, learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance. The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. "What US city" wasn't in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn't find much evidence to connect either city's airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson's list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that's a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

Happiness is a worn pun!