View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: My (personal) opinion about a mis-use of the Speakeasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Hi, Erik. First, please don't leave. We don't want you to feel unwelcome. That's not the point of what Jam and Jim were discussing. Promoting a show in a freedom-of-speech way is surely fine. If I had a jazz show on a jazz station, and I occasionally said in this speakeasy, "Hey, everyone. I have a show called JazzSpaz that you should check out sometime," I don't think anyone would have a real issue. The issue is in saying over the air to my JazzSpaz listners, "We don't have a shoutbox or chat room on this site, so everyone go over to Auralmoon.com and we'll use their shoutbox."

By the way, I don't know what it means in Belgium, but in the Constitution of the United States of America [which AM calls home], freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say anything you want at anytime you want anywhere you want. You can't go in a church in the middle of a worship service and start reading from the phone book, and then say "Freedom of speech" when someone asks you to stop. You can't get a bullhorn and start reciting Mein Kampf in the parking lot of the mall without getting arrested for vagrancy, public nuisance, trespassing, or sound ordinance. "Freedom of speech" will not get you out of legal trouble.

What freedom of speech does mean is that we American citizens have the right to speak against the policies of our government, to speak our conscience, to speak our opinions, without fear of reprisal by the government. There are sanctioned ways to do this, via freedom of the press and the right to petition the government.

One major component of this is that freedom of speech applies to the PUBLIC forum, not the PRIVATE forum. Meaning, in a public forum, I can express my political views, religious views, or whatever. I cannot walk around the parking lot of a mall handing out political literature without permission; it's a public place, but owned by the private company that owns the mall. You can blaspheme God all you want walking through the public park. Say it my house and I can ask you to stop or leave.

My point? Auralmoon is not a public forum. It is privately owned by Jim Brennan of San Diego, CA. He can and does allow a LOT of freedom of speech in the public areas of his private forum. I freely express my Christianity. Others freely express their atheism. We all express our loathing of pop radio. But one thing I can bet the private owner and his helpers don't want to do is pay for a forum for someone else to appropriate for another station. That's not freedom of speech.

That being said, ErikM, we'd love you to stay around and enjoy the prog and programming of Auralmoon.

Spaz out.
Thank you 'Spaz for clearly stating, with examples, that the Freedom of Speech doesn't guarantee or mean that one has the freedom of speech anywhere or everywhere!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.