Thread: Favourite Gigs.
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Ivan, what a cool story.

I was at an outdoor concert in Chapel Hill, NC in 1982 with Grandmaster Flash, The Producers, U2, and Todd Rundgren (tells you how long ago it was that U2 was opening for Rundgren or anyone). The audience didn't understand or appreciate what GMF was doing, and the Producers (lightweight Cars wannabes) just bored them. Everyone was there for U2 and/or Rundgren, with the audience topheavy for U2. The Producers wound their way through their flaccid little set, obviously choosing to end with their one hit, "Lucy" or "Lucille" or something. Towards the end of their set, the front guy called out, "What is it that you wanna hear?" Besides channeling Lynyrd Skynrd, he was expecting all of us to yell back, "Lucy!" Instead, the crowd thunders out in one voice, "YOOOOOO TWOOOOOO!" Poor guy was rocked back on his heels, the band chugged through their last song, and they fled, never to be seen again (at least not by me).

U2 was tremendous, with Bono climbing the scaffolding during a lightning storm and doing "Singing in the Rain" (the entire concert took place during a monsoon). My girlfriend at the time got sick of being wet and insisted we leave before Todd got on stage. Like the whipped puppy I was, I gave in, and missed a chance to see solo Todd do his thing, urrgghh.