Thread: fusion and prog
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Quote:
Originally posted by uzeb2
I don't think you can really mix prog and fusion, as is being done in some previous posts. Jazz, which includes fusion, is on a whole different level than rock. There are different, more sophisticated chords and scales that are not generally used in rock. I believe that almost any jazz artist could play prog, no problem. However, I'll bet there are many many progressive rock artists who can't play jazz.

I disagree that Yes plays any jazz whatsoever. They have no training in this area and, from what I've read in their books, don't care if they ever do. If they ever did decide to play jazz, they would have to put in the years of training for it, just like everyone else does.
Just to name one, Bill Bruford is a trained jazz drummer - his drumming on Yes and King Crimson albums is very jazzy. When he joined Yes (answered an ad) he thought he was indeed joining a jazz band! Burford's Earthworks, his long-running jazz ensemble, would seem to give your theory pause.

Prog and fusion go hand in hand. Much prog dips in and out of fusion. There are certainly bands that spand both prog rock and fusion. Planet X is one.

It mixes pretty seamslessly here on AM, and a lot of other internet "prog rock" stations. The popular syndicated show "The Canvas Prog Hour" has a heck of a lot of fusion in there.

Avian