View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 07:52 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

So... not just lists eh? in the last couple of days I have taken in the following albums:
Jesus Hits You like An Atom Bomb - The Blind Boys Of Alabama. This is an extraordinary piece of work. I never thought I'd be able to listen to and enjoy such a straight-down-the-line-christian set of songs but the committment and soul in this album is truly stirring. It's forthright and honest and so deeply bluesy that it takes my breath away. The album positively ripples with dirty hammond organ and the gospel harmonies are divine. It's contemporary in terms of production values and yet old fashioned in it's unabashed gospel nature. I have a number of "pagan" friends who find this album almost offensive because they're so radically opposed to christianity but to me it oozes spirituality. If I could go to church and get music like this I'd be there every day. Sadly this isn't an option in rural Norfolk so I guess I'm damned; bummer. If you like the Staple Singers you'll love this album.
Relayer - Yes.
Somewhat controversially I consider this to be the finest album Yes ever made. It goes out on the edge in so many ways. Moraz brings an experimental Jazz element to the material that really lights my candle in a way that Wakeman never did. Combine this with the fact that it's the most guitar-led of all their albums and you have perfection. Obviously the lyrics are bollocks but the same is true of all Yes albums.
Animals - Pink Floyd.
There's a phrase in one of the guitar solos in Dogs where Gilmour does a controlled ppleck slide that is just perfect. I love the lyrics, I love the concept, I love the lords prayer for sheep... it's beatiful, (if a bit dark).
Tadpoles - The Bonzo Dog Band.
"you've heard of Ali Baba
Forty theive had he
Out for what we all want
Lots of LSD"

or

"In the canyons of your mind
I will wander through your soul
Though the venticles of your heart my dear
I'm in love with you again"

nuff said.

and finally...
Once Around The World - It Bites.
Despite the late 80's production sheen the song-writing, the musicianship and the vocal harmonies make this album a most rewarding listen and definitely represents the high-water mark of the bands career. Okay there are a couple of dodgy tracks; Hunting The Whale and Platic Dreamer but their doginess come from that perculiarly prog kind whimsical attitude that gave us The Battle Of Epping Forest and Benny The Bouncer so that's alright. The lyrics are shit but this is true of most prog lyrics (the Floyd not included) so that's alright too.

tim