View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Patron

Re: My Top 10 .... 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariocc View Post
I listened the final top 20..10 ..that Mike posted ,,and with the exception of three ,and maybe a 4th ,, I just pass with all the others.
As Mike says, " A lot of their staff, as reflected in this top twenty list,seem to be big into prog metal. The listeners on aural moon don't seem to be into prog metal so much(I personally like some of it but am not a super huge fan)..."

To me,,metal and all its derivatives,, prog metal included ,,have a common quality,,a lack of melodic and harmonic ideas,, harmony makes richer and interesting any song but let s say just a lack of melodic ideas as a main thing. And I ll include also instrumental parts and solos.
Mostly Riffs and patterns,,clearly in guitar parts of course ,,,and also a very processed signal in general in the sound of instruments,,,,,I wont tell about singing.
I m super aware that what I m saying is a very subjective opinion of course.

Nicolette ! ..."and I like the sophistication of it..",,,maybe I think it is what I m trying to talking about,,, sophistication could be too much to me,,but I m super agree with you

I would say according all these years and knowing my friends here ,,and given we all share a huge music background,,,rock,,,popular ( when pop. or radio songs were played with much much more musicality actually..another topic ),,jazz,blues,,progressive,,experimental,,classic and even soundtrack music...etc....that....
I trust and enjoy by far AM Top10 lists ....

by the way,,thanks to Jim ,, Top10 is about what we hear in this huge library,,with a little exceptions
Yes, big thanks to Jim for this place. I've been doing some listening elsewhere also, mostly where Tom is being played to be supportive (of course), but AM and the Gagliarchives both have an edge of great selection and variety. Also, both chats (and these message boards) are good to discuss with others as music is being played.

I do think that sophistication is the right word, there is what I would consider less that embodies that word with metal, although prog metal is, for metal, sophisticated (hence the designation, I would venture to guess). Not that it doesn't have it's own language and finesse. I think that the ones that are more prog than others will eventually evolve into more strictly prog with ventures down other avenues than metal (KC-like). But that's my guess. I do know for a fact that, for instance, Black Sabbath warms up at rehearsals with jazz (or did while Bill was with them). Quite a few of the early great drummers such as Bill or Ginger Baker and Bill Bruford cut their teeth on jazz.

And you're welcome, Nicola. I will give a listen to your suggestions while I can't access AM listenability here at work.