Thread: Really, Phil?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Monkeyboy =)

Re: Really, Phil?

Phil had the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing simpler music by putting his sticks down, turning on a drum machine and using that golden (gabriel inspired) voice.....so he did....good for him....But back in the day, it was Bruford, Collins and Palmer who were the 3 big names in rock drumming and the stuff he did with Brand X stands on its own....Phil was a great drummer and the vocal harmonies with Peter Gabriel were great also....it wasn't til he stole Peters voice and took Genesis into Popland that we all started to despise him....it was a gradual process...with each album after gabriel and after hackett...genesis got progressively....non progressive....and then phils solo works went beyond "non-progressive" to progressively non-listenable.....
BUT... I have to say, that in the past couple of years Phil has recapitulated his life and has come out and said he actually cringes when he watches some of the Genesis video stuff when he first took over the vocal reins...he admits to being an egotistic smart ass and regrets it now but at the time I guess thats what he had to do to keep the GenesisMonster moving..... ANYWAY...If Peter Gabriel asked him to be best man at his wedding...then Phil is alright with me, I guess..., especially if he stops making the solo nonsense that he's put out over the past 20 years....I feel bad for his health but I'm grateful for the early music he's given us and just as grateful that he's calling it quits....FYI Collins is one of only three recording artists (along with Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson) who have sold over 100 million albums worldwide both as solo artists and (separately) as principal members of a band. good for him...
Hey, I have a pretty good cd from Phils son...Simon Collins -
U Catastrophe....its not bad if you're looking for Collins stuff..same DNA anyway.....