Thread: Never again
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye

I disagree with you totally there Neil.

If looking at a pile of bricks in an art gallery turns some people on that's fine.

It certainly doesn't give modern art a bad name in my book and I don't happen to think that the pile of bricks is a particularly interesting piece. Likewise Tracy Emmin's unmade bed isn't that good in my eyes but it doesn't make me think that just because something's MODERN it has to be bad. There are LOTS of great pieces of work out there.

Surely the same applies to music which, when you get down to the base facts, is just another art form.

In any case I've always put Philip Glass in the "Classical World" and wouldn't index his music as Prog in my catalogue...EVER!
I didn't criticize Glass's "work" for being MODERN. I criticized it for being BAD, BORING, MONOTONOUS, INCONSEQUENTIAL.

It's like it't trying to be Tangerine Dream by buying an expensive keyboard instead of by learning to play music.

It sounds like he found a sound he liked on the keyboard and left it playing while he went down to the pub.

I mean, let's get away from generalities and principles - did you actually enjoy listening to that? Is there anyone here who did? If do, tell me why then we have something worth conversing about.

NEIL
:-<|}