View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Is XM/Sirius a threat to internet radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Davin would have to write that as he started it. I joined the team fairly early on (the "team" was Davin and myself), and can say a few words on that. In late 2000, I was listening to Aural Moon, and Davin posted an ad to the website looking for a program director. I volunteered, and we began our virtual collaboration. (I have an e-mail I sent to Davin in January of 2001 saying 17 listeners was the most I'd seen yet...) It was in June of 2001 when we met in person for the first time, at Nearfest.

I took over financial responsibility for Aural Moon in the middle of 2004. By then, Roger was already on board helping out with a lot of the technical stuff. Vaxman was definitely listening by then, and started hosting the web server in 2006 if I recall correctly. He'd already been helping out quite a bit before then.
I was listening for quite some time before I ventured to sign up for an account on the old web site. I think I pre-dated Roger's arrival (the database has it by 4 months but since that was the old forum data, it's anybody's guess as to the actual sign on date).

Roger was given duties on the moon because, at that time, he had been out of work. As things became more hectic, he asked me to lend a hand.

According to the WHOIS records, the last update to the Auralmoon.com registry was 21-JUL-06. So Jim is right in that I took over the web site hosting in 2006 -- summer of 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Aural Moon is a money losing proposition. We are not really trying to make it pay for itself, which gives us a lot more freedom than XM/Sirius will ever have. The numbers involved pencil out nicely for us, but never will for satellite radio. I'm not worried. Like Vax, I used to listen to XM's Music Lab when chance (usually work travel) brought me into contact with a car equipped with it. I've never paid for it...
I've expended quite a bit of time and money on the Aural Moon web site. Lately, alot more TIME!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.