Thread: Never again
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Re: Glass Fans of the world unite!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye

The Violin concerto is beautiful. His adaptation of David Bowie's music in the Low and Heroes symphonies are amazing and if you really want to get blown away get hold of:

"the CIVIL warS - a tree is best measured when it is down; Act V - The Rome Section." Unbelievable!!!!!

Other film soundtracks I've got include Powaqqatsi and Kundun.

I haven't checked out which song from the request list actually played, but I can guess it was from "Music In Twelve Parts" or some similar work from early on in Glass's career. Keith's suggestions of great Glass music all stem from his work after "Einstein On The Beach," his first major opera, which also contained quite a bit of the repetitive music heard in "Number Five." Despite the importance of "Einstein" and "Twelve Parts" in the development of Glass's style, I don't think they ever need to be listened to in their entirety. While Glass has never been or never will be traditionally classical, his post-1970's works are infinitesimally more accessible than anything he did before that period. It's like apples to oranges. Symphonies 2 and 3, "1000 Airplanes On The Roof," "Glasspieces," and "Satyagraha" are some more excellent examples of his work, but they are indeed, not for everyone.

Another fan of PG (the other one),