View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Re: Boys.......................

Right. Time to give Rick a brief lesson in "How To Do Shit Right and Not Appear Like A Chowderhead"...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I love you guys, but sometimes you really need to get perspective.

You assume many things, my young friend.

Quote:

Roger, what you're doing with researching and talking to Jim is perfect. And Jim said he would try different solutions. But I'm weary of this analysis in this format. I'm sorry I just think it's counterproductive.

Ya know, Rick, in all the articles I've read that you've posted, I don't think I've EVER read anything I disagree with so totally and emphatically. NOT doing any analysis is an invitation to generate garbage at best, and Windows XP at worst. Analysis, in a format that is productive for the analyst, is never counter productive if you're actually researching the goal. You seem to have this idea that I pour through reams of paper, looking at play times and the like. I don't. The format, when sorted by artist and then by song title, is anayzed somewhat like this:

a...b...c...d...hrm, three by echolyn, spread out nicely....f...

HOLY SMOKES! THAT'S 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,
[kicks off shoes] 11,12 TWELVE FLOWER KING SONGS during this period. And there are a LOT of repeats in there..."

g...Genesis. Yeah, I know...h...i...j...k... Blasted King Crimson, but at least it's not a bunch of repeats...l...m...hrm. Someone likes Grendel...n...o

And so it goes.

Quote:

If I read back correctly, vaxman has a request .....not an invitation to analyze the shit out of it. Again, your dedication and quick response to this a great thing. Just let us know when you come up with a plan.

I've come up with a plan.

Quote:

Some other points:

1) Take into account the global listeners. Time zones, etc.

I do. I'm well aware, not only from white but from the access logs on all the streams, that we've got users all over the world. Six continents, folks.

Quote:

2) An offshoot band followed by the main band (Yes then Sherwood/Squire, FK then Kaipa) - a way to abuse the requests. I've seen this happen too many times to be a coincidence.

Yah, I've noticed that too. Perhaps you can tell me how to go about setting things up to keep this from happening.

Quote:

3) Requesting a short tune in order to keep the band from repeating. Possibility for major abuse.

Yep. Anyone know of a 10 second GY!BE song?

Quote:

4) As for songs needing a rest (and bands too), maybe let the consensus mostly decide.

OK, how do we draw this concensus? Do we poll people in white? Set up a poll on the main page for every nominated song? Do we set up a forum just for overplayed song nomina...

Oops. Sorry, overanalyzing things again...

Quote:

5) If you're not on the station 24/7, you can't really be 100% sure what is too much...again..solicit opinions.
Thanks!
uh, we have been. And we've been listening. Granted, we DO have lives, so we don't get to things right away, but we DO listen.

And, of course, sometimes we just say "no".
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!