View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Show 117 - Featuring Flamborough Head, Violent Silence

(This version of The Rickter Scale airs from 8-11 PM EST on Sunday, 2/11/07 and 1-4 PM PM on Monday, 2/12/07)

No cute title, just more great music. Ever since I got back from Summers' End in October, I've been wanting to feature the Dutch band Flamborough Head.

Flamborough Head - "One For The Crow" (2002)

One For The Crow
Old Shoes
Separate
Daydreams
Nightlife
Old Forest
Limestone Rock
New Shoes

This one is not yet on the Moon, should appear shortly. The first one with Eddie Mulder on guitar - his playing is reminiscent of David Gilmour (he was in a Floyd cover band) but not imitative. He has the same ability to get the most of limited notes, ala Gilmour, Michael Gurley, Buck Dharma, Peter Frampton. All of the members are great, but I'm especially impressed with Koen Roozen, the drummer. He has the same ability of a Barriemore Barlow to use the entire drum kit to create textures.

Violent Silence - "Kinetic" (2005)

Morning Star
Kinetic
Torrential Rains
Night Lights
Sky Burial
Subzero
Quiet Stalker
Homesick

A swedish band with great vocals, nice arrangements....but not what you may expect. Here's an unusual line-up: 2 keys, bass,drums,vocals - no guitars. Yet, in rare spots almost heavy enough to be thrash. But overall, just top-rate music. For the most part, it's pleasant melodies, yet the lyrics are quite serious and dark. If you haven't heard this, you'll be kicking yourself about not voting them in the top 10 for that year. There's also another record out from 2002, and I think they're releasing another this year. I've got some information from the band that I'll post later in the week.

The 18-minute "Quiet Stalker" contains a 5-minute passage that's superb, and "Sky Burial", my favorite track on the CD, has a chorus that reminds me of Kansas' "Hopelessly Human". Hope to see the band lurking on the Monday replay.

Flower Kings - "Serious Dreamers" (from "The Rainmaker", 2001)

I needed to fill 8-10 minutes, and keeping with the keyboard theme, picked a song that shows the beautiful talent of Tomas Bodin. One of the best songs they've ever done.

Flamborough Head - "Tales of Imperfection" (2005)

For Starters
Maureen
Higher Ground
Silent Stranger
Captive of Fate
Mantova
Year After Year

This one's on the Moon. I like the subject matter of the title, it exposes our shallowness in championing beauty over substance. This is the latest release...hoping the next record has the outstanding instrumental "Don't Forget Us", played at Summers' End. Eddie Mulder branches out with some instrumental songs on this CD. One more note - check out the website, you'll see pictures of the band at Baja by our very own vaxman. (insert glass here)

And thanks to Edo Spanninga, keyboardist for the band, for his graciousness. Since I've mentioned three of the five members already, lets also mention Margriet Boomsma on flute and vocals, and Marcel Derix on the bass!

Look forward to seeing you all in!