View Single Post
Old 07-14-2001, 03:00 PM

It's all semantics

OK. Let's break this down. First, let's define prog. If you look at the variety of bands available here, you will see a definate variety of progressive styles, from the early prog masters to recent stuff like Ozric Tentacles and Djam Karet. Aural Moon keeps a very open mind and does their research well. So, what is prog? I think it varies depending on the person and their introduction to the genre. Myself, I love epic songs, a wide variety of changing and dynamic metrics, incredible instumentation, occasional vocals, a wide variey of instruments (especially mellotron); basically music that sets itself apart from everything else and can only be classified as prog. Now, I have listened to DT and think the Scenes from a Memory CD sucks big time, but I am completely and utterly blown away by the Metropolis 2000 DVD. Granted, it isn't for the faint hearted, but I consider this to be one of the most incredible technical displays of musicianship. Whether to include it here? Prog is sometimes experimentation, so why not try a few cuts from the Metropolis 2000 CD and see what happens. Just a couple, though. Because of their popularity, I wouldn't want to see this site become progressive metal. Oh, you think DT is to busy? How about some of the Mahavishnu stuff, or, even more incredible, Boud Deun? That stuff makes me want to quit playing bass and run home to mommy!