Thread: Brand X
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 04:20 AM
KeithieW

Re: Aardvark

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
I had heard OF a band called Aardvark, but can't recall what I heard - now I'm dying to know - any good?
Keeping in the Prog spirit of the times Aardvark were one of the few bands not to feature a guitarist. They only released one album, the eponymous Aardvark (also sometimes known as Put that in your pipe and smoke it).

If I was to pick one track it would be "Once upon a hill/Put that in your pipe....". It takes up a large part of the second side of the album.

It starts off almost folky being VERY mellow and laid back but when it blasts into the "Pipe" section it really takes off sounding very like The Nice at times.

It was a shame that they never secured a release for a follow up album because I'd say they compare very favourably with early Soft Machine, Egg, Caravan and (as I mentioned) The Nice.

The track I suggested is available on the 3 CD anthology "Legend of a Mind". It also includes other less well known gems like Leafhound, T2, Khan and Black Cat Bones. A great collection and I think it would grace AM perfectly.