View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Re: My Top 10 .... 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicolette View Post
I could be wrong, but I think maybe a lot of the Prog writers only write for Prog? Could that be the difference, that they're more insular? Or I could be wrong, also, please feel free to let me know if that is so. Thus, perhaps, their readership is exposed mostly to what makes it to publication with Prog?
I'm not sure. Yeah, most or many of them probably only write for PROG but maybe there's a vested interest in them(ie playing favorites). I don't know that for a fact and I don't want to start any rumors. Or maybe they just all have similar tastes in prog. Some of the individual lists included stuff that is on here but most of those apparently didn't get enough mentions to make their final top 20. Just for giggles here's their top ten. The list is actually compiled by staff(not readers).

10. A Perfect Circle- Eat the elephant
9. Thumpermonkey - Make me young, etc.
8. The Fierce and the Dead- The Euphoric
7. Riverside- Wasteland
6. Ihsahn- AMR
5. The Pineapple Thief- Dissolution
4. Voivod- The Wake
3. Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
2. Tesseract- Sounder
1. Haken - Vector

The latest album by Tony Banks "Five" came in at number 11. Rounding out the top 20 were releases by Orphaned Land, Coheed and Cambria, Spiritualized, Vennart, Soft Machine and Kino among others. A lot of their staff, as reflected in this top twenty list, seem to be big into prog metal. The listeners on aural moon don't seem to be into prog metal so much(I personally like some of it but am not a super huge fan).