View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Musician? Me?

Hoo boy. My musical career is almost as checkered as the rest of my past....

Started out at 4 or so on piano. My mom knew she had a budding musician on my hand when I sidled up next to her, looked at the keyboard, and plinked out the "Texaco Star" commercial.

Went to clarinet for a couple of years, then worked my way through that family (alto, bass, etc), then I moved on to Sax, where I developed my taste for LARGE instruments (well, a bari sax IS large for a 10 year old....)

When that got boring, in Jr. High school, I picked up a baritone horn and blew a few notes out of it. Had all the scales down in a month or so and played that for a while.

Then I made the biggest mistake of my life. I picked up a french horn.

Once band directors find out that you can play french horn, they won't let you play anything else. I played that cursed instrument for going on 15 years before I finally said "To HELL with it!" and dropped music entirely (right about the same time I got out of college).

Now I play euphonium in the local concert band (after extracting a promise that I would NEVER EVER EVER be forced to play French Horn UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES etc). I never played anything that'd fit in a rock or prog band. Not nimble fingered enough, I suppose.

Oh, I did try flute once. Almost passed out. Gave me a whole new appreciation of flute players...

Roger -Dot- Lee
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!