Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Moon O'Poll
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 AM

Moon O'Poll 2007 - preview

Hello Moonbuds,

mostly lurking during 2007 I was found by AM secret agents and reminded of year end poll and year end show. I decided that if there was Moonies' interest in having that poll on the Moon again I'd be up for it too.

Last year there were some voices of criticism regarding the fact that albums released in december couldn't be included due to voting period closing early. As a result and as a result of very busy January for me I decided that the show and the poll in general would be organised later than it once was. I mean, my proposition is to start voting in the middle of January and have the show in the early Ferbruary.

I liked very much when the show was organised close to New Year's Eve and therefore had that New Year and even Christmas aura. But it is true that it's not the best date in terms of the fact it is 2007 poll and which therefore should consists of ealry and late 2007 albums.

Well, if you have comments or propositions regarding the poll and the show itself, just write it here. As usual I'm open for all forms of humourous jingles, adverts etc so that the poll time could be the time of party and fun on the Moon.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Moon O'Poll 2007 - preview

Some days it pays to rise early - I get to have 1st say.

1st, welcome back from mojtek, and thank you for "volunteering." I know how much work these projects can turn into, so please know we appreciate your efforts.

I'm of the opinion (humble or not so) that the poll show should be close to the new year, at least held within January. February starts to get too far into the next year and there can be a lot of New Year releases to cloud ones' mind. However, I fully respect your commitments so let's focus on album inclusion.

I would put a release cut-off date around early December (5-10). Why further reward groups trying to take advantage of the holiday market. Plus, part of a group appeal is longevity. One week on the market doesn't allow it to qualify for those characteristics. I may like it now, but after 15 listenings.... So regardless of when the voting takes place mid to late December release should go with 2008 recordings.

Let's be sure last year's late entries are included this year.

Also, I'd be happy to offer my assistance to you. If I can be of any help, I'd be honored to do so.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM

Hi Woj...maybe sometime we can vote for your music...

Anyway, since you have so capably organized it in the past, it seems to me we should work on your schedule. It sounded like it was easier to do it the way we always have. But if it's too late to compile a show for mid-January, it's ok with me. Anytime is fine, I have no personal preference.

As usual, you can replay the show in my slot (so we'll have three plays...or is it four?).

Does it really matter if it's a proper calendar year? Not like these discs get awards, plus we always add if there's a groundswell for inclusion.

As I've always said, I never hear many great ones until well after the year ends anyway. I'm always hearing stuff from 2003,4,5, etc and liking it.

thanks again, woj...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

You can't make everyone happy. Cut it off like you always have. No matter when the cut-off is some one will say something got shafted. We are only human and mistakes also happen, like when cds get left off of the lists that Tom Gagliardi supplies. But life goes on. I'll bet Tom gets complaints from ppl also, we just don't hear 'em.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teermin8r View Post
No matter when the cut-off is some one will say something got shafted.

Sounds like Oklahoma and the BCS
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Well I'd say that the no. 1 reason to put it off a bit is amount of work I have in January. So perhaps no matter what we decide here I'll be forced to put off the show to early Ferbruary/

Last edited by Wojtek : 12-03-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Patron

Woj, you're alive!

Since you put alot of work into the poll, the timing needs to work for YOU.

Just decide when you can do it comfortably, and make your announcement. We already know you also balance all other Moon related issues in your decision making.

Whenever you decide we will have it, we will love it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi all,

I don't think I've posted before, but have been a member since July/06.

With respect to the timing of the poll, I've seen it suggested with other year-end polls that collect their data in December to include December releases from the prior year. So, for 2007, include Dec/06 releases. That way, you may not have a representation of releases for the calendar year, but you do have them for a 12 month period.

Just a thought. Whatever the timing, I'll look forward to casting my vote and seeing the results!

thanks,

Don Arnold
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM

well welcome in Don! that's a hell of a pseudonym

I agree with you...that's the way a lot of "countdowns" used to do it....
Old 12-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Hey Wojtek. I'm glad to see you are still around.

Like others who have mentioned it, I know how much work compiling a list like this can be.

As far as I am concerned when you do put together the show, I'll listen to it and enjoy it when it plays . no matter when that is.
Who knows, I might even manage to vote in it this time.

I apppreciate your efforts, what ever fits your timing works for me.

Thank You!

Bmithra
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
Hi all,

I don't think I've posted before, but have been a member since July/06.

With respect to the timing of the poll, I've seen it suggested with other year-end polls that collect their data in December to include December releases from the prior year. So, for 2007, include Dec/06 releases. That way, you may not have a representation of releases for the calendar year, but you do have them for a 12 month period.

Just a thought. Whatever the timing, I'll look forward to casting my vote and seeing the results!

thanks,

Don Arnold

Hey Woj, you are alive.. And I do not ask about Wisla..

I agree with Don, you should make an early January show with the releases from Dec 2006 untill end November 2007. Rogor suggested that too..

And it was always fun to have it early January...

If you have problems with overload of work..we are always here to help you out..

Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Patron

hi woj

i await your decision whatever, however...i know it will be great listening.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Patron

Well, keeping the thread alive.

Whatever decision will be taken (voting for releases from Dec. 06 to Nov 07 or Jan 07 to Dec 07) and the timing of the show, a decision has to be taken, as the end of the year is showing up.

As I already mentioned, I personally would prefer a show early January, as in February we are already full in the new year looking forward and it is not so atractive to look a year back.

I think it is the time of management and the members involved to discuss in the next days (by PM or whatsoever the best solution for the Moon).

I offer my help (and I think many others would do as well), if Woj is overloaded with work and maybe has only time to record the show (I would love to listen to his show, as in the past years), but the evaluation etc. has to be done by somebody else.

So, awaiting your comments

Old 12-06-2007, 05:05 PM

The whole problem are my winter exams. As usual unfortunately. I have no free time in January and Ferbruary so I'm looking for a few days in January during which I will be busy but not too much busy. After your posts I started considering omiting busiest days from the other side, that is doing it much earlier. In that case show must be around 10-15 Jan the latest. In that case I can do the evaluation but help with the list would be appreciated so that we could start voting almost immediately.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Owner/Program Director

OK, so we are all in agreement then? Lotus/Keithie/Rogor will start compiling the list and voting, and Woj will put together a show for mid January?

Please use this thread for discussion rather than individual conversations with me. Whatever is decided should be a public decision, not private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
The whole problem are my winter exams. As usual unfortunately. I have no free time in January and Ferbruary so I'm looking for a few days in January during which I will be busy but not too much busy. After your posts I started considering omiting busiest days from the other side, that is doing it much earlier. In that case show must be around 10-15 Jan the latest. In that case I can do the evaluation but help with the list would be appreciated so that we could start voting almost immediately.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM

I don't need help with voting, I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
OK, so we are all in agreement then? Lotus/Keithie/Rogor will start compiling the list and voting, and Woj will put together a show for mid January?

Please use this thread for discussion rather than individual conversations with me. Whatever is decided should be a public decision, not private.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Fossils are Rock!

Wojtek,
I look forward to your poll results, whenever you find it most convenient for yourself. Thanks for the all the effort!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Patron

Have to agree with nadina.

Why are we continuing to go on about dates which woj said were not convenient for him.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Patron

Because Mossy it's too late to have a 2007 show in February - the boss says January at the latest.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Patron

With all due respect, mortis, I don't think it really matters if the show is done in the following month if it makes it easier for the show creator and producer. And also with all due respect to Jim, I'm done. I simply wanted to agree with nadina, that it feels as if woj's arm has been twisted a bit. thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: