Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2003, 01:11 PM

Schon and Hammer

Canvas is playing a track from this duo. I've got two Neal Schon's solo albums (one of which is available here at AM to listen to). FOr those of you who don't recognize his name, Schon is the guitarist of Journey and was in Santana before that. Journey is pretty straight ahead classic rock for the most part, but they have plenty of progressive material - Just request the songs Kahoutek, Of a Lifetime, or Look Into The Future from the AM playlist for proof. But Schon's solo material, as opposed to Steve Perry's solo material, is always experimental and progressive. And of course, Jan Hammer is of Mahavishnu orchestra fame. In the early 80s they got together and did two instrumental albums together (maybe three) under the original name of Schon and Hammer. Like Fripp and Eno, or Fripp and Copeland, here we have two top-notch musicians getting together and pouring out two albums of guitar/keyboard fusion.

Here's my question: I've never heard these albums, so has anyone here heard them, think they are good, should be added to the station, etc?
Old 01-31-2003, 11:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to canvas
Schon & Hammer

Yesspaz,

I have the 2 Schon/Hammer albums on one CD and there are some awesome tracks on here. Some of it is a little hokey, but well worth it for the good tracks. Jan Hammer plays drums on most of this as well as keys. Schon smokes pretty much all the way through, and some of his best playing is contained on these two albums. I think both are worth the $$$!

Matt
Old 02-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Owner/Program Director

I have one of them (the first I think) on cassette, and I consider most of it straight forward rock, but pretty good nonetheless. I'll give it a listen for any prog gems worthy of inclusion here - it's been awhile since I put it on...
Old 02-01-2003, 08:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to canvas
Check out "I'm Down" and "Arc"....also "On The Beach"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: