Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 AM
KeithieW

The Musical Box at the RAH.

Incredible gig!

TMB performed Genesis' 1973 "White" Selling England By The Pound set.

This was good for me because at the Rainbow in 1973 Genesis did their "Black" set.

Pam and I took our seats, which were pretty close to the stage, and when the lights went down I whispered to her "Prepare to be amazed".

The band came on and those heavy mellotron chords started and there,lit up by the UV strips at the front of the stage, was Denis Gagné with the Bat wings surrounding his head. "Watcher of the skies, watcher of all........" my spine tingled and I was transported back in time 33 years.......was it REALLY 33 years ago? No matter! I still had the same feeling I had then. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, my feet tapped out the beat and, until I got a dig in the ribs from Pam, I sang. What an opener!

Denis Gagné is unbelievable. Not only does he sound like the 1973 Peter Gabriel. Not only does he look like the 1973 Peter Gabriel. He even MOVES like the 1973 Peter Gabriel. The rest of the band are also very true to the original and if it wasn't for the fact that Bass player Sébastien Lamothe is left handed you might easily be forgiven for thinking it was Genesis circa 1973 but you never really lose sight of the fact that it isn't.

They continued with playing SEbtP note perfect. The instrumental section at the end of "Cinema Show" was breathtaking.....pure progressive rock at it's most beautiful and awe inspiring best.

François Gagnon hit the Firth of Fifth guitar solo superbly and the Albert Hall was filled with those soaring notes.

Seeing "The Battle of Epping Forest" played live for the first time in all those years made me realise how tricky that is to sing. I loved it. Even "Phil" and "Mike" doing "More fool me" sounded good.....

Britannia danced with her Moonlit Knight, the Cosmic Lawnmower knocked off for lunch and in the middle of all this there was a croquet match and an old man boogied away but ultimately died.

Could this get any better?.........well of course it could!! Pam looked at me and I just smiled. I knew what was going to happen next but as she hadn't been at the 1973 gigs this was a new experience for her.

"Peter" stood behind his Bass drum and started to tell the story of Old Michael, worms and birds. The Jerusalem Boogie was performed and then we heard ".....but to the birds this meant that Supper is ready".

"Walking across the sitting room. I turn the television off......" pandemonium in the Albert Hall. What is it about Supper's Ready that makes grown up people go peculiar?

20 odd minutes later and it's nearly over "...and it's, hey babe. With your guardian eyes so blue". A blinding flash (which actually sets fire to the stage and needs to be put out in a hurry by one of the road crew) "Peter" has suddenly changed into a white suit and we're done.

In the 1973 set Genesis finished at this point with no encore. How could you top what had gone before? Some people at the time were a bit miffed and so at just a handful of gigs the encored with "The Knife" and that is what we got here.

As we were driving home, I asked Pam what she thought of it and she said it was astonishing. She was, however, a little disturbed at just HOW like Peter Gabriel Denis Gagné is. It's incredible how he has every move, wiggle, hand shape, stare at the audience and story delivery down to a tee. Most tribute bands perform good, faithful, covers of songs and performances but always leave a little of themselves in there. The rest of the band do this but Denis Gagné is in a different world. If I was Peter Gabriel I think I might be a little bit worried that someone could become me so convincingly.

A huge thank you to The Musical Box. Your performance was outstanding and I hope that this isn't the last time you will perform this extraordinary music.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:01 AM

Re: The Musical Box at the RAH.

very cool.

and very jealous.

:¬ )
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM

I think the bass player's the most talented in the band, whatever hand he wants!

Last time I had a moron jumping around and whistling in front of me the whole time....but the band was great.

Thanks for the review...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
If I was Peter Gabriel I think I might be a little bit worried that someone could become me so convincingly.
Why would Peter Gabriel be worried if someone became you?

Having seen Foxtrot, SEBtP and TTLDOB performed by TMB several times each show, I can only say that if you passed up a chance to see TMB, you passed up the chance of a lifetime. They really do do a great job at impersonating the old Genesis stage shows.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Patron

Mouth watering prospect to see them later this month - I never saw the old Genesis. Don't worry KW no one's interested in becoming you
Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM

I would really be interested in seeing them, as I have only seen Genesis without Peter. Hope they come to California, or I will have to fit it in an east coast trip. I really don't like cover bands, but when the band is not around anymore, I will make an exception.

It's just a personal thing. If they can't write there own music...bla bla bla.

But in this case they have found a way to please the audience, since
Genesis is no more.

I heard Genesis will be touring, but without Steve and Peter, you might as well see the Musical Box, eh. And if there is no new songs, why even do it. Will we know the answer to that one. MONEY!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Fossils are Rock!

Wish I could have seen Genesis with Peter... TMB is the next best thing, I guess. Always excellent execution of the music! I don't even think of them as a cover band, more like a stage show, or a play, or time travel. I always try to see them when they come to town.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Owner/Program Director

You know, I'm not a big cover band fan either. But having seen TMB, I have to say, they're amazing. I spoke with the drummer at their Nearfest show two (or three) years ago, and he learned to play drums left handed so he'd look more like Phil. That's dedication! Given the state of Genesis since the early to mid 80s, I'd MUCH rather see TMB than Genesis. For the record, I've seen TMB twice and Genesis, I don't know, probably a dozen times.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
You know, I'm not a big cover band fan either. But having seen TMB, I have to say, they're amazing. I spoke with the drummer at their Nearfest show two (or three) years ago, and he learned to play drums left handed so he'd look more like Phil. That's dedication! Given the state of Genesis since the early to mid 80s, I'd MUCH rather see TMB than Genesis. For the record, I've seen TMB twice and Genesis, I don't know, probably a dozen times.

Agree 100% about the cover thing. the only other ones I like are the Mahoney Brothers (Beatles) and a Rush cover band years ago called Second nature.

Of course I've not seen the Floyd bands that play all the time...was never a major Floyd fan (just a almost major one).

I think TMB really isn't a cover band per se...they might just be the real thing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: