Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 10:08 AM

one of many

perhaps they would not be considered by some as prog rock, but with regards in particular to some of the later albums; one of my favorites that I think would fit in here, is XTC
Old 10-08-2004, 10:18 AM

another hit!

Hi alians2 -

this is the third time recently that someone has suggested something that I will be playing in the near future. Kind of makes me feel wanted!

There's a whole section of music that's great but not "prog" enough to put on the Moon. We have affectionately named them "tweeners". Tentatively scheduled for 11/7, I have a full-length XTC CD set to play (Oranges and Lemons). It's a favorite of mine.

I try to push the genre a bit....there is a ton of prog music out there, but it is fun to hear the tweeners. I'll try to hit a few without being too onerous. But again, the 11/7 show will be all tweeners.

Welcome to the Moon!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Patron

I have 5 XTC albums and they contain songs that certainly can fit a prog definition, while others are more poppish, but I enjoy them just the same.

Glad you will play some Rick
Old 10-08-2004, 11:21 AM

and that is a great album to start with ... it must have been a tough decision to pick one ....
Old 10-08-2004, 06:09 PM

things we did on grass...

love that album. great choice, Rick!
Old 10-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Owner/Program Director

Have I ever said this? God, I LOVE XTC! My personal favorite is Skylarking, but "O&L" is great too. For the newcomers, I've said many times, I don't add every album/band I like - XTC is a perfect example of a band I'm still considering...

I'm currently on the hunt for "Go 2" and "Drums And Wires", the next CDs of theirs I want but am still looking for less than $15 each. We have good used CD stores in San Diego, so I'll get them soon...

(They're worth $15, but I buy a LOT of CDs for the station so I kind of have to always be looking for stuff on the cheap. Remember, Aural Moon costs me about $300/month just to keep it on the air)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
My personal favorite is Skylarking,
yes! my favorite, too.
tough call on whether it belongs on the Moon... definitely a tweener.
man, there's a lot of good music out there, isn't there?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Skylarking is most people's favorite....it's close for me. The difficult thing about having it on the Moon is the way the songs run together...but that's a minor thing.

In one of the CD's I bought (think it was Rag & Bone Buffet) there's a flyer called "If Those Dollars Are Buring A Hole In Your Pocket, Andy Tells You How To Rationalize The Musical Universe". There's a paragraph for each record.....

Skylarking: "Musician and producer Todd Rundgren squeezed the XTC clay into its most complete/connected/cyclical record ever. Not an easy album to make for various ego reasons But time has humbled me into admitting Todd conjured up some of the most magical production arranging conceivable. A summer's day cooked into one cake."

Oranges And Lemons: "Strip it down, build it up, here comes the dragster, polished and chrome, it's big, it's long and supercharged with song. She's hard and she's fast, eats future and shits past. Fifteen songs, a flourescent feast, you'd better be hungry!"

Old 11-01-2004, 04:54 PM

caught the XTC at the end of the show on 11/1 ... thanks for that ... unfortunately, I got called into a meeting ... you know the drill ... the life of a programmer .... got to hear some of it at least

a few more bands that might be AM material ... Cocteau Twins and Bill Nelson

what do you think?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roger
man, there's a lot of good music out there, isn't there?
Yes, there is! Unfortunately, there's also a lot of crap out there. Oh, on a totally unrelated note, did you read in the paper that Jay-Z and R. Kelly called off their tour?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Yes, there is! Unfortunately, there's also a lot of crap out there.
But one man's crap is another's heaven, right Spaz?????
Old 11-01-2004, 05:38 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Maybe SantaVAX will bring it to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
Have I ever said this? God, I LOVE XTC! My personal favorite is Skylarking, but "O&L" is great too. For the newcomers, I've said many times, I don't add every album/band I like - XTC is a perfect example of a band I'm still considering...

I'm currently on the hunt for "Go 2" and "Drums And Wires", the next CDs of theirs I want but am still looking for less than $15 each. We have good used CD stores in San Diego, so I'll get them soon...

(They're worth $15, but I buy a LOT of CDs for the station so I kind of have to always be looking for stuff on the cheap. Remember, Aural Moon costs me about $300/month just to keep it on the air)
I came across Go2 in the discount rack at a local store here. If I get there in the next few days and it's stillthere, I'll get it for you. I already own it so I just made mental note and returned it to the rack.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:20 PM

Don't forget English Roundabout. Very, very good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: